Do you think smoking while pregnant is abuse?

Someone told a girl from work who smokes (and is pregnant) that it was abuse. Now, while I know that smoking while pregnant is not healthy, MANY babies come out perfectly fine. I was infuriated that they said it was abuse because I grew up abused in EVERY way possible. I wish my Mom smoking was the worst thing she had ever done to me......

So my answer to my own question is..no, I do not think smokin while pregnant is abuse. What do you think?

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It is ABUSE. You can shake five different infants and one may not suffer shaken baby still makes it abuse.
    Pink_caffiene

Answer by Pink_caffiene at 8:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yes
    My mom smoked like crazy while pregnant with me. I weighed 5 lbs 1 oz and I was 11 days late
    You think that was perfectly fine?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Smoking while pregnant and shaking a baby are two completely different things.  I have smoked with all 4 of mine.  I cut down, just like I do with everything else.  Less caffeine, less cigarettes.  It's noone elses business whether someone else smokes or not.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Just b/c they don't come out w/ problems doesn't mean they won't develop problems later. And a lot of ppl don't realize , they're the ones who caused it.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Well in some cases the OB will recommend that the mother simply cut back and not try to quit because the stress of quitting is very hard on the system. If the mother is still smoking a pack a day and doesn't give a flaying rats behind then that is just irresponsible and might even be considered borderline abuse.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I feel different. Beating your kids with a gun rod until they have welts on your back is abuse, grabbing them by the neck and slamming them against walls is abuse, calling them dirty whores when they are 10yrs old is abuse........Coming from someone who was abused...smoking is NOT abuse.
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• yes
    Anonymous

• So they can't develop problems any other way?  BS alert!  Would I recommend smoking to someone else at ANY time?  No.  Would I label them a CHILD ABUSER because they smoke during pregnancy, no!  Personally, I am going to smoke my 3 cigs a day and before someone calls me a freaking child abuser they better look in the damn mirror.  EVERYONE does something that someone else can say "OMG, THATS SO HORRIBLE"!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Clearly some ppl are just selfish.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Your examples of abuse are extreme. There are different levels of abuse. This is not to say that I think smoking a cigarette here an there while pregnant is abuse although I do think it's selfish and short sighted.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2011