My Baby Can Read?

A lot of people say it's a waste of money and will just mess your child up for when they actually go to school because it's just memorization. But isn't a lot of reading just memorization?

My daughter is in school and is learning to read and it's a lot of just plain old memorizing. So how would memorizing before they start school "mess them up"? Not that I have a need or a huge desire for my baby to know how to read, just wondering why it's so bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well I heard it was a waste of money because the quality is not really that great. I thought about buy it myself but I just cannot make myself. I have taught my 3yr old all the letters of the aphlabet and the sounds they make and he knows them. When we look at words we sound them out. He is beginning to realize that if you want to figure out what a word is you have to sound it out. It is a work in progress. If i buy anything it will be a leap frog reading pad.
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• By the way I don't think it would mess your child up because it is just memorization.
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• First, even if it does teach your kids to recognize a bank of sight words, what is the long term benefit of learning that at such a young age?

Second, I don't like the fact that it involves watching videos. The research on the effects of early tv watching is so dramatic that the AAP strongly recommends NO tv before 2 years old. The more "screen" time toddlers have, the lower their vocabulary skills. This is true even with high quality "educational" programs. Lower vocabulary and language skills later correlates with lower reading scores.

Finally, it takes time away from really important developmentally appropriate learning that should be happening at that age. Talking to your baby/toddler/preschooler while they: play with play dough, dig in the sand, build with blocks, color with crayons, have tea parties, drive cars on imaginary roads, going to the zoo, making mud pies etc. Is far more educational at that age.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 9:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• ALL OF what they learn at first is just memorization.  I had the Your Baby Can Read system.  I thought it would be great.  It has worked, my kids can read.  Would I buy it again?  No.  My husband and I both thought that it would also teach them phonics but instead it just teaches them a few select words.  I would have preferred for them to teach about the ABCs first but it didn't.  I wouldn't recommend it, no.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• don't think it is a bad concept but the price is..............i have bought flashcards at walmart for 3 bucks and have done the same thing with my son............priceless!!!!!
    mghtymffn

Answer by mghtymffn at 9:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• i dont think it is, my mom bought it for my 1 & 2 year olds, and now i get complaments on how well they talk. even my baby, now 15 months is starting to talk, way better than my older son did before he started the program. i would not say it helped them read so much as of yet, but theyre speech skills are amazing. I am impressed, just as anyone else who hears my boys talk.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 9:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Well everyone is different if you feel like trying it you should. It might help it might not. Thats kinda the way with everything. And i was at walmart the other day and they have an on TV section and my baby can read is in it for 70 dollars. Im going to get it when i get my taxes back. If it will help them learn how to read that greats. but i think its worth a try.
    Littleguysmommy

Answer by Littleguysmommy at 9:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I mostly focused on the ABC's and focus on the sounds. She does not seem interested in soundingout the words in a book, but she loves the two shows on PBS that help reading Word girl and Super Why.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I didn't have a special program, just a love for being read to and parents and siblings (and grandparents) willing to read to me constantly and I was reading on my own at age 3.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• why does your baby need to read

Answer by rkoloms at 10:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011