When switching to a toddler bed, do they actually sleep in the bed the "right way"?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would you expect a toddler to actually sleep in a bed under the blankets and with his head on a pillow? We haven't made this transition yet, but since my son's got a full-size bed in his room (this used to be the guest room) we've been reading and winding down for the night on that bed... kind of to get him used to the idea of sleeping there. But the thing is that my son likes to shuffle around in his crib while settling down and he falls asleep with his head pointing in all different directions each night. And of course, he sleeps with his blanket crunched under him. I just can't imagine him using a pillow and blanket the way I do. Is there any reason to care what direction he sleeps in before transitioning to a bed? Gosh, there is so much I don't know about being a mom!!

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 9:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My Son, did real good, he knew to put his head on the pillow and face the right way and want to be covered up. we lay him in his bed while we watch tv with him for a little while then he falls asleep,now when we check on him in the middle of the night, he's facing the other way or has ended up on the floor:)(not hurting himself) some nights he's so tired he stays in the same spot under the covers. he did real good on the change.
    mommaclow

Answer by mommaclow at 9:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My daughter went straight from sleeping in her crib (with side off) to sleeping in a twin bed. She moves around a lot too, but thus far hasnt fallen off the bed -- I always straighten her out after she goes to sleep, but that will only help for a little while. If your concerned about him falling off the bed, you can start with just the mattress on the floor!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Haha I wonder this too. We haven't transitioned to a toddler bed yet but I look at the way he sleeps in his crib and wonder how the heck it's gonna work in a toddler bed! Maybe I'll try tucking him in "the right way" when we get ready to move him and see how well he stays in one place! It'll be interesting.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You can also put some blankets on the floor to cushion a fall if one occurs. And push one side of the bed against a wall, that way there is only one side to fall out of. I have 5 kids, and never had one that age/size get stuck anywhere!
    texanmommy

Answer by texanmommy at 9:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• LOL! DD is 10, sleeps on a twin bed and still finds a way to end up with her feet on the pillow and her head hanging out of the side of the bed!!
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 9:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Each child is different. Some will sleep in the bed without problems from the very first night. Others it will take several months or longer for them to transition. All of my kids were different with the move into a bigger bed.
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 10:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Just depends, but my son did quite well getting adjusted to the bed at night. He slept in the bed right away and was even excited about it. We have a crib that converted to a toddler bed. He also has a bed at the grandparents house that's just a regular bed with guard rails, and he did well with that too. Now, nap time was another story. He would not sleep in his bed for the longest time and I just kept encouraging 'quiet time' and telling him he needs to stay in bed even if he doesn't want to sleep (we only allow a few stuffed animals and books in his room for quiet play if he doesn't sleep). After a period of adjustment--novelty wearing off--and moving his nap time back about an hour, he finally takes naps in his big boy bed most days now. If he skips and just does quiet time, we just put him to bed a little early. Good luck! I found it a little challenging, but hopefully he will adjust to it with no problems.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If your son is a really restless sleeper like my son always was, they also make Halo sleepsacks (wearable blanket) for toddlers. They can walk in them because they have leg holes, but it keeps them covered at night. We used those at first, but now he just sleeps with a travel size pillow and regular blankets. If he's wearing warm pajamas, it's usually not a problem if he kicks the covers off, plus he's big enough (2 yr old) to just pull the covers back up now if he wakes up and realizes he's not covered..
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2011