Kids and greediness

DOes anyone else have a lot of greed and selfish problems with their kids, what do you do to teach them otherwise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• That is a hard question to answer without more information, really. I know I get really annoyed when my kids do seem to just want more...forgetting what they may have just gotten yesterday! I think all kids can be like that sometimes. And it is not just spoiled kids because I have seen greediness and a sense of entitlement among kids who have really been quite deprived of material things as well. I certainly don't have any magical answers, but I know I let them know I don't approve (okay....I will admit it, my technique is that I yell and let them know I am disgusted by it). It is one of the hardest issues to deal with at times.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• depends on how old they r. My daughter is only 15 months old and i know she is still learning so i just try to correct her.. now when it comes to my nephew (4) he is greedy with anything. when its not his toys he claims them as his and tells my daughter or who ever to go away they r his they cant have it.. usually my sister spanks him and tells him hes not to do that. And explains to him that they arent his toys to begin with and the others r sharing.. when he does it again they usually stick him in time out. When he gets greedy with his toys they explain they r his and yes he does have the right for people not to play with them. BUT he has to put them up when people are around..
    Anonymous

• My son is 6 years old and he is greedy when it comes to food, when there is a bowl of something good or a bag of candy put out for everyone he will keep eating as fast as he can so as to get more than anyone else. We know its not an issue of him thinking he won't get a fair share because he always does its just this...I don't know it really bothers me cause the behavior is so ugly.
    Anonymous

• OMG YES!!! And it came to a head yesterday. I took my daughter to Chuck E. Cheese and then next door to Toys R Us for their sales to get the kids some things for Christmas. Last, we went to Goodwill where I found a ton of cheap Disney movies and picked them up...My daughter did nothing but whine the whole time about doing more and buying more...WE RETURNED EVERYTHING WE COULD!!! I have never been so thrilled to see tears in my entire life because I knew it was getting through to her to go back and give her stuff back to the store.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• lol...I just realized that I must be a mean mom for liking the tears, but I really did. Ahhh, remorse. And a small victory for me for following through with it even though it was harder than just saying in the car on the way home "You're spoiled, you shouldn't have gotten this."
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• good job kabbot01, you did it all cause you care for your daughter, you did the right thing to me
    Anonymous