Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do i file taxes?

my husban only worked like a week in 2010. hehas been doing odd jobs to support us. what are we suppose to do? what will happen?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • Technically he is supposed to report all money made, from a regular job or not, and if he made enough to support you then if you get audited for not filing you better believe they will question why you didn't pay taxes on all of that money and then they will just estimate what you must have made and tax you on it.


    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • File taxes, reporting ALL income. You may qualify for the EIC

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • but we have no proof of the income...?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • You can fill out a form filing as an independent contractor. Your bank statements (I'm assuming) will show copies of checks received if they do an audit. If he makes more than $400 a year he is supposed to file his taxes quarterly.

    To answer your question though, yes he should file. Good luck =)

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.