any idea how to get my house to stop stinking

so i pick up everyday and really clean every sat. but my house seems to always smells like old food or just nasty any ideas how to get the smell out ? cleaning just seems to cover it up

kyiahsmommy

Asked by kyiahsmommy at 9:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Well febreeze helps, for a quick fresh scent, but every few years, I like a fresh coat of paint. It not only makes the house like cleaner, but if freshens the smell. If odors are in the carpeting, having it cleaned can help too.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If cleaning is really not working anf it is just a lingering smell get an oil burner. OMG this is the best way to clear up a smell. Get Eucalyptus extract, sold in health food stores, add a couple drops of the extract to the burner, fil the rest of the burner bowl with water. And then let it burn after you light the candle. Eucalyptus is known the cleanse the air. I lived by this method when pregnant, I was so sensitive to smell.

You can also get the extract, boil some water on the stove and let it steam with water and eucalyptus
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I love to burn the scented candles and I also have the diffusers that go all the time. My house usually smells pretty good.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Sounds like you need to discover where the "smell" is coming from. Do your carpets need cleaning? Is there hidden food in your heating vents or under the beds? Dirty dishes under the couch? Is the smell coming from dirty laundry or sneakers? Maybe your pipes are old and decaying somewhere? Comforters with spilled milk or sweat on them? Mold in the house anywhere will make it smell bad too. Try fabreez on your bedspreads and couch and use carpet fresh on your carpets. See if that doesn't help. Good Luck!
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 9:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You need to check in the crawl space.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• i think its the apartment i live in because i tried 90 percent of the ideas
    kyiahsmommy

Comment by kyiahsmommy (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• do you have carpet? maybe, if you do have carpet, a good prefessional cleaning will help.
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 9:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• There are so many different reasons that your house is smelly. There could be a dead animal that crawled in somewhere and you guys don't know. But if you are cleaning regularly and it still smells, then something else is wrong. I would go and investigate before I bought all types of fragrances.
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 10:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I think you need to start sniffing around, very carefully, to find what's wrong. Hopefully it's something simple, like a carpet.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:50 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If you have a potatoe or onion bin check it one may have spoiled.
    elle71186

Answer by elle71186 at 11:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011