is it possible to get pregnant before you actually ovulate?

I've heard from some woman that they concieved right after their period ended, but I've read that it's only possible to get pregnant when your ovulating and there's on'y like a 72 hour window that your fertile. Anyone know what the true answer is?

mamabonesof2

Asked by mamabonesof2 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• It is not possible to get pregnant before you ovulate, however, not all women ovulate at the same time. I woman I work with only ovulated when she was on her period (very rare, but its true!) She finally had sex while she was on her period and became pregnant. So, it's possible she got pregnant when she said she did, but she did ovulate.
    lamr

Answer by lamr at 1:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Sperm can live in your body I THINK for a day or maybe a few. so if you ovulate the day after you have unprotected sex then yes there is a CHANCE. Women conceive during or right after their period ends b/c more than once egg dropped. Its not a huge chance but DOES happen
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I agree with lamr! Also the egg can live up to 3 days.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 1:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• No, it isn't.

The egg lives only for 24-72 hours. While the sperm lives up to 5 days.
    And like the first poster said, not all women ovulate at the same time. And others ovulate more than once in one cycle, where as others can skip cycles, not ovulating even though they get periods.
    But the bottom line is, you need to be ovulating to conceive. There needs to be an egg before you can get pregnant.
    Anonymous

• It is possible for someone to get pregnant right after their period because if they have a shorter cycle (or even just a "freak" short cycle) they could be ovulating then. Generally, you ovulate about 14 days before you start your period so if you would have a three week cycle you would be ovulating right after your period ends. Anything could happen really.....I am usually very regular but I have had shorter cycles and longer cycles every now and then. And yes, since the sperm lives for a length of time in the woman's body, you could have had sex several days BEFORE you technically become pregnant.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Some woman's ovulation changes. I got pregnant a week after mine.... which was a little off from what I was normally. You can not get pregnant when you are not ovulating though.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2008