my oldest son is 3 years old and is refusing the potty..what can i do

he will do it for other people sometimes but he refuses at home..ive tried diffrent types of training pants i even broght some batman undies and had him wear them under his training pant...that didnt work..its like he dont feel or he dont mind being wet or poo'ed. he wont even tell me if hes peed or not like he used to..ive tried a sticker chart ive bribed him with batman toys...nothings working anymore...and hes way past being ready age wise..i just want to potty train him im tired of family and oter people making me feel like a worthless mom all because they dont understand that my son just wont use the potty.

wiccanmommy

Asked by wiccanmommy at 1:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well you know what they say they go when their ready. and maybe he's not ready yet. or maybe he's scared of the potty. i dont know. :( good luck with all of that.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Don't worry. Just keep trying and be consistant. Besides....it'll happen eventually. How many kindergartners are in diapers? Stay strong Moma : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• If it is any comfort to you both of my kids and my sister's two kids weren't potty trained until after they turned three. It is pretty common, actually. I think it is hard when they do get to that age because they are "refusing" rather than unable, that is for sure. It is a control issue for them at that point, and when you think about it, that is the whole thing about using the toilet, it is about control! Try not to worry about what other people say, and just be as consistent as you can.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I had an issue w my son until i started using the cheap plastic undies over the bigboy undies. The cotton material soaks all the fluid and makes it uncomfy. The plastic undies keep the mess inside. Sometimes you gotta let them be wet or poopy for a little whlie so they will get uncomfortable.
    MarySchreiner

Answer by MarySchreiner at 2:54 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My mom had this problem with my brother..She had to put fruit loops (the cereal) in the potty (only a few) and told him to shoot the fruit loops lol i know sounds hill billy but she told him for every time he did it he got a toy so he did the next day the next..etc.. he really liked that idea he is now 4 and he has never had an accident..Idk i think rewarding them and making it fun helps alot good luck
    gracie43008

Answer by gracie43008 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My son wasn't potty trained until after his third birthday, and when he decided he wanted to use the potty he had it down that day. Just give him time he'll come around. And don't listen to what people say to you about your parenting style, your children, your choice.
    betsy2325

Answer by betsy2325 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i tought my uncles son to go on the potty at the age of 2 in just 1 week. i told him if you have to go potty tell me and ill help you and if you go potty you get a piece of candy or popsicle. then i tought him to wave good by to his waste's and to flush the toilet. i asked him every 30-40 min if he had to go potty.. fortunatly for me and my uncle he was a quick learner. dont give up. he will learn.. also if theres any men around.. its easier to learn if a man shows him.. there just equipped the same way. lol.. best wishes.
    missmom1421

Answer by missmom1421 at 4:00 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• try getting him onto the big potty that all uses,my dd did the same thing and all she wanted was to use the big girls toilet,try that,if not he isnt ready for potty yet he will in his own time just keep encouraging it
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 5:22 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• It is frustrating when they aren't fully potty trained. My son fought the issue til his 4th bday. After I realized he would have accidents only in underwear! I took away the underwear and used nothing under his pants or little boxers and he hasn't had an accident yet! seems like if his "stuff" is being held close to his body he gets comfortable and wets himself. If his "stuff" hangs freely then he is more aware.
    Try going without underwear and use little boxers and see if it works. Good luck!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I know what your going through. My three year old is doing the same thing. We have a 2 year old that is more potty trained than our 3yr old. He wears his big boy potty pants if he uses the potty more than three times, and that seems to be working, but we still use "baby" diapers at night. I told him that he's a big boy and big boy's wear big boy pull ups..Well that back fired, because now he says he doesn't want to be a big boy any more, he wants to be a baby! Ugh... For the most part he uses the potty but yes, its frustrating when people ask.
    klynn2

Answer by klynn2 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2008