Does age matter in politics?

We all heard that McCain was too old to be president. What about a 20 year old college sophomore for mayor? Jeffersonville Indiana has a 20 year old on the ballot running for mayor. He seems to be a very bright young man with a vision to do good things. But does age matter when it comes to politics? In discussing this with my dh, does any job aside from running a company really prepare you to run a city? Or a state? Do you think they should have more life experience or is this better because they are less politically jaded? What are your opinions? Would you vote for someone not yet old enough to drink? Here is a link to the story.(I'm on my phone, don't know how to make clicky!)
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110127/NEWS02/301270061/20-year-old-declares-for-Jeffersonville-Mayor-s-race

Astraea_79

Asked by Astraea_79 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think if it's a small town, it could be a good place to get that experience, but for a larger city, or to be governor or a state senator, then I think you need more life experience.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Imo, experience is the key factor and a must for running a business or a city, regardless of age...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 2:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I prefer experience, and any business experience at all is a plus. I would prefer that business experience be required for all elected positions at the state and federal level. I don't mind legal advisers, but those in charge of the business of our country should not only understand how a business works, but should know how to run one that makes enough of a profit to stay out of the red and keep the customers happy at the same time.

A lemonade stand teaches that better than law school, but no experience in life is not something that stands out on any resume for public office. Imo.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If they don't have age restrictions and the people of the city think a younger person has the education and knowledge to do the job then I don't see whats wrong with it. Of course not for Governor or President but Mayor, especially a smaller town. it's cool
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2011