Does an open window affect the use of a humidifier?

I put a cool mist humidifier on for my son's congestion last night but it's still way too hot to close the window and turn off the fans. I didn't know if this might change how much the humidifier helps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Where do u live? If its that hot then isnt it humid also? If it was cooler out then I could see it effecting it but you would shut the window anyway. I would close the window for it work successfully :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• NO! I live in Southern CA and its Santa Ana season so it's really hot and really dry and really windy. It's in the 90's all day and we're lucky if it goes down to 70 at night. We don't have AC so we'd all sweat to death if the window wasn't open.
    Anonymous

• That sucks! lol Can you try just cracking the windows?? Leaving them open might make it dryer and the fans would just be circulating it around. I wouldnt worry about. Just turn it on. Its not like you sleep out side. The room is prob able to keep the humidity in long enough to make it worth using
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Also try opening the windows from the top if you are able. That will keep the air a little higher up so that its not blowing directly into the room.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Yes it does. The humidifier takes the air int he room and moistens it to a certain level. If there's too much air, it can't function properly (ie there so much new air that it can't get the entire room to the correct level.) It's just like runing the a/c with the windows open. If effect, you are cooling the entire outside! might be better to do hot water shower and let baby breathe in the steam so it's more effective.
    Anonymous