Anyone have or know someone who has emphesema?

I know I didn't spell it right, but anyway. I had bronchitis right before Thanksgiving and was treated for it. The meds did help, but I couldn't get rid of the coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. So I went to the dr. and it turns out I've got emphasema. I'm right in between stage 1 and 2. He put me on Spiriva and sometimes it seems to be making it worse, other times it seems to be a little bit better. I was just wondering if anyone else has it and how it has effected your life. Anything that's helped? Meds? Lifestyle changes? I quit smoking when I had the bronchitis.

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 11:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Health

• Wow. How old are you? My great grandmother died of emphysema but she was already 85.
    Anonymous

• Try to limit your time in cold weather, and extreme hot weather. My FIL has it and it seems that it flares up when there is air freshener or something in the air, along with temperatures. Try not to over work yourself. Good luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Dad did. He had to quit smoking because he needed an operation to have stones taken out from his liver... not smoking and light exercise (walking at a slow pace) helped him... he was 78 at the time
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 11:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'm so sorry! My grandfather had it. He lost a lot of weight, couldn't talk on the phone anymore, and slept all the time. It finally took him. I hope this doesn't happen to you. I'm sure you have a better chance than he did! Marlboro reds for 68 years! I'm sorry I don't know much else, just what I saw.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'm 29. The dr said that I was pretty young to have it.
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• WOW! That IS really young! My great-great uncle on my mom's side had it. And my S/O's dad had it.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My FIL was told in his 40s that he had it, he still smokes, and has an at home breathing machine... Sooo he takes the breathing treatment, and then goes to smoke.... But he just celebrated his 73rd birthday
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 11:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Wow, 2lil.... he continued to smoke? I'm glad to hear that he's still alive, even though he kept smoking!! I can't imagine a breathing machine is much fun though.
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Good for you for quitting! Hopefully your lungs can heal since you have quit smoking. At the very least the not smoking might stave off the advancement of the disease for years. I would also avoid second hand smoke, which can be just as bad, or worse. There is also now something called third hand smoke, which is the build up of smoke residue and junk from the smoke in things like carpet, furniture, drapes. I would give all those things many thorough cleanings.

I'm a moderate-severe asthmatic. I take Symbicort. It does make me cough a bit when I take it, but that clears out my lungs. Then I am fine for up to 24 hours. Shorter amounts of time when I am sick. I try to avoid cold, humid weather and my main allergies.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Thanks!! I'm trying to get my hubby to quit smoking as well, so that he doesn't end up w/ this too, and to cut down on the 2nd hand smoke. I know that he won't quit until he's ready though. I know I wasn't ready, but as I'm sure you know, being short of breath is scary at times, and it was enough to make me quit. Thanks for the info, I'd never heard of 3rd hand smoke before. I'm sorry to hear about you having asthma, and sorry to hear about everyone else's family members that have emphezema.
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 12:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2011