Does your baby have acid reflux?

Did your baby have acid reflux? What were the symptoms, how did you treat it? I think my baby might have it. I'm calling the pedi tomorrow, but just wanted some input first. Thanks.

sophiesmom07

Asked by sophiesmom07 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, my son did not, but keep in mind all babies have reflux to a certain extent because their esophageal sphincter is immature. That's why they "spit up". You can be concerned if it's causing them pain or if they are not getting enough nutrition. Hope your pedi visit goes well!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Both of my daughter had it. They'd spit up alot, wouldn't sleep flat on their back, and would arch their backs in pain after eating. Zantac cleared it up and they only took it for like 3 months.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• my daughter had really bad breathing problems when she was little. lots of gurgling in her lungs and chest. we went to see a lung specialist and did an xray or her chest, he said she had acid reflux and he gave her a pill that i had to give her..it dissolved fast and i always mixed it with her food..it seemed to help, i would talk to your pedi and see what they suggest.
    kdm077

Answer by kdm077 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• hornz102485, that sounds exactly like my ds. I didn't know Zantac could be given to a newborn. I will speak to my pedi about it. Thanks.
    sophiesmom07

Comment by sophiesmom07 (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yes, it's liquid zantac. They take it 2 times a day. It helps instantly. It makes a HUGE difference.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yes. My son does. He was spitting up almost everything when 1st born. He has gagging b/c of it coming up in his throat. Ped said it was my call on meds. Since he was gaining weight and was healthy I didnt HAVE to give him meds for it so I didnt. I dont like the idea of doping up a poor little baby. He's 6 months now and only has the problem about once a day now. I didnt like the idea of meds b/c if I was giving it to him then he would still be on it even though he doesnt need it now. How would you tell when its ready to stop? You wouldnt. You would just keep giving it to them b/c your thinking the symptoms are only gone b/c of the meds. Why give a baby drugs when they dont absolutely need it?
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 8:16 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Are you nursing? I ask because there is something called Overactive Letdown, basically the milk comes out faster the baby likes, and often, the symptoms can mimic the symptoms of reflux.

Anyway, my son had reflux. I knew this because you could tell, you could SEE, there was acid coming up, and likely milk too, but it would not come all the way up, you could see it come up and then go back down. I suffer from reflux too, so I know how uncomfortable that is. He often would arch his back when crying. We went to a pediatric GI doctor, and he was put on Axid.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Nienna, I wouldn't call it doping a baby up LOL. I'm going to guess that your LO's reflux was not severe. If it was, you probably would have used the meds. Imagine a baby crying, constantly, colic X 1,000. And the way you know when they no longer need the meds, is you periodically stop the meds, and evaluate the baby. We stopped maybe 3 times before we were able to stop for good. He was off the meds I believe around 9 mos old.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My son cried for 3 months straight. I had the colicy baby who would scream NO MATTER WHAT! that was because of me not producing enough but I still full heartily understand that feeling!
    If the symptoms are severs then yes I see a point in meds BUT so many moms now a days just stick there kid on meds with out really looking into it themselves and discover that it could be something else completely. OR trying something natural 1st before sticking drugs down a babies throat. I def. see the point on meds if its absolutely necessary but most never take the extra time to try natural 1st they just stick with meds.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My son had severe Acid Reflux. He would spit up after each feeding, even if I would stop him at every once to burp, and we could hear it- almost like a gurgling sound. We changed his formula first before attempting the meds. ( He is still on Enfamil R.S- for spit up). That worked slightly, so we decided to go ahead with the meds. He ended up on Zantac twice a day, and I will tell you he was a new baby! It helped him so so much! How old is your child? I noticed when he started on more of solid foods it began to diminish. We now only give him as needed rather than the twice a day!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 12:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2011