How many words did your baby know at 9+ months?

Ds is 9 months and 1 week. I am proud of my son but hate to be accused of bragging. I don't think my son is a some future Einstein btw. I just feel proud of him like any mom is proud of her son.
Ds knows: momma(mom-mom, mom,), dadda, night night, bye bye, hi, hey(although that is really just hi lol), bath.
He also knows his abc's...just kidding lol. I may as well say that if I post it. I talk a lot to ds and I was quite the talker as a kid and I still am a chatterbox lmbo. I am sure there are babies that are the same age that say a lot more than ds and some say less. All babies are different and have strong/weak areas but if we discuss what we are proud of then we are flaunting ...sigh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't count but he knew the simple stuff. Hi, bye, uh oh, mama, dadda. Things like that. I believe it's normal for that age. I work with a girl whose daughter was forming near sentences around that time. By her second birthday she talked like a kindergardner. It was crazy! But she was just very advanced in speech.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• That is freakn' amazing!! I figure my son is normal but it seems that I can't say anything like that on here because no matter what it is bragging lol.
    I bet that mom has a difficult time telling people about her daughter. I, myself, don't get jelous or snippy. I can be proud of other kids even if mine isn't doing that well in a certain area...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'm not sure exactly (I can't remember the time frame she learned these), but by 1 she knew: mama, dad (she only said "dada" for like 2 months for some reason), bye bye, uh oh, poo, pee, kitty (she had trouble with the "ts" though so it was more like ki-ee), no, uh huh, cold, hot (she said "ot"), up, down, out, get, go, and a few others. Does baba (for her bottle) and bank (for her blanket) count?

I know a few kids who didn't start saying many words at all until they were almost 3 and now you can't shut them up lol. I've also known 2 year olds who spoke better than some 4 year olds. Like you said, every child is different. Congrats on your little ones expanding vocabulary! Never be ashamed of being proud of your baby :)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• That's great! My son didn't really know any.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Thank you Mrs. BAT.
    Ds had trouble saying dadda for a little bit. He said nana instead. It was cute though and it made my day because he was trying and he is my son:)
    uh-oh THAT SOUNDS CUTE LOL.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Thank you EVERYONE
    Anonymous

• There isn't just speech but how early they walk, crawl, etc. There are so many different milestones. Where one baby may excel in one area, they may not do well in another, just like adults lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• None of my children said any words by 9 months. My 12 month old has 1 word right now, which is kitty. He can understand a lot more of course. I've heard the average is 2 words by 12 months. I'm not worried about my son though, all of my kids have been late talkers and turned out fine. I was actually an early talker, I keep waiting to have a kid like me. I thought maybe it was a girl/boy thing but even my daughter was a late talker. She also had only 1 or 2 words by 12 months. But she was talking in sentances by 2. My older son had the most words at a year old, about 5 I think, but he had about 70 words at 2 (I remember because I wrote them all down) and they were all so foreign sounding I had to translate for him. But now he's 5 and very bright, he speaks clearly and has been reading for a while. You would never guess he was a late talker.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• yup.
    How smart a kid will be is not determined by how much they speak as a baby. I don't know where this thought comes in. I don't know how bright my son will be but all I know is that I will always love him no matter what. I am going to work with him of course but I want him to feel loved above all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• None. Zip. Nada.

But she's 4 and can read better than most first graders :o) I'm very proud of her. Both my girls are speech delayed but my 4 year old is awesome with the written language and my 2 year old knows tons of sign language and can even fingerspell her name - with the correct handshapes!

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2011