Born or a choice?

What is the general consensus? Are people born gay or do they chose this lifestyle? Can/should you actually tell your children who the “should” be attracted to or who they fall in love with? Are parents the children’s own worse enemy when it comes to homosexuality?

sally1981

Asked by sally1981 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think people are born that way and I don't see anything wrong with it. Everyone is different and something that makes sense here is there is a nut for every bolt. I would never tell my DD or any other kids I might have someday who they can and can't be in love with as long as they aren't in a sittuation where they are being hurt. I don't care who they love as long as they are happy!
    Mudfishzgirl

Answer by Mudfishzgirl at 1:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I believe it is a choice
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I believe people are born that way.

I believe that in the past people's nonacceptance of gayness led to less gay people statistically, but the tenancies were still there, and many relationships went on behind closed doors.

I think that that, coupled with people nowadays being more accepting has led to more people "coming out" as well as more people experimenting with their sexuality, which in turn makes the non supportive people think it is a choice.

HOWEVER how can the people who think that it is a choice think that someone would choose a life of ridicule? A life of constant struggle for acceptance? To me that is just asinine. It obviously is not a choice.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I don't think people are born that way. I think it's a personal choice and lifestyle
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 2:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I believe that people are born homosexual. I see it in kids as young as 4 yrs-old. Of course, you can also choose to experiment when you are an adult...
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 2:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I believe people are born that way as well.
    Anonymous

• I have no idea! It's confusing. My stepdaughter, while in college, lived with and declared her love for her girlfriend. They were together for 3 years and then she met her soon to be husband. She is now on her 2nd husband....I think this one is the keeper! My point....I think it was a choice for her but I'm not sure if it's a choice for everyone.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• A person who is truly homosexual (I think this is different then someone who wants to experiment) is born that way. If it were a choice, wouldn't it be found only in certain parts of the world? Until colonialism (when Christianity spread) homosexuality was an accepted practice in much of the world. Native American groups, Polynesians, Indians, Asians (specifically Thailand). Kind of off the subject, but transgendered people were also very accepted. It was Christian governments (France, Great Britain, etc) that shut these practices down.

I agree with CarolynBarnet. Why would anyone choose this. I have had pretty intimate conversations with many of my friends about this. There is not a single one who did not seriously struggle with this.

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Definitely born that way! It is just comes naturally to a gay person to be gay just like it comes naturally to a heterosexual to be hetero..... I do believe some people choose to experiment with various relationships, and sometimes people are confused either because they believe that it is wrong to be gay and don't want to be what they are, or because they are just really really adventurous and want to be completey openminded about everything. But, sexual orientation is not a choice we make.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i believe that they are born that way too. If my child grew up to be gay i would still love them no matter what.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 2:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2008