my son almost always wakes up screaming and crying like he is being tortured especially from his nap. what gives? does anyone else experience this? can he be stopped? it is horribly unpleasant!!!!!!!

elithefly

Asked by elithefly at 8:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he still have his eyes closed when this first happens? If so, it could be night terrors. If he seems still half dazed he could either still be tired (when my son does this, I put him back to bed) or again, night terrors. Your son is a little young (considering you're posting in the 1-2 section) to have night terrors, but it's also not unheard of at his age.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/night_terrors/page3_em.htm#Night%20Terrors%20Symptoms
    If he has any of the other symptoms at this link, talk to your doctor. Otherwise, try seeing if you can get him to go back to sleep. HTH
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My daughter used to wake up crying and sometimes screaming from naps or in the morning. She doesn't anymore so for her it went away on it's own. I would always go in her room as soon as she woke up and would say Momma, Momma. Kiera say Momma. So now when she wakes up she calls for someone. (she is 18 months old)
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 8:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I'm not sure if we experience the same things, but there are times when my two year old son wakes up from his naps and is just a cranky bugger. He cries for a good 10-15 minutes after waking up and is just inconsolable. Only thing that works is distracting him by offering to take him outside or by offering a popsicle--two of his favorite things.
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 8:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My nephew who just turned 6 has been waking up with "night terrors" since he was about 3. He has had some really bad ones where he keeps calling for his mom over and over and over and he will say things like "dont do that .. no no no" its scary!! He will walk around the house crying and saying that stuff over and over. My sister use to let him walk around ( she would follow him to make sure he didnt walk into something) and she would just keep saying his name over and over trying to "wake him" up from it. Now she tries to get him to go pee soon as he starts his "night terror" and that almost snaps him out of it right away... hope you find something that helps your son!
    mish_1125

Answer by mish_1125 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• he could have a neck pain as well
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 1:24 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• my son does this occasionally.. and he is asleep just confort him and let him know everything ios ok.
    kanela

Answer by kanela at 10:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Is it only at naptime or at night too? My daughter would wake up screaming at night and would not calm down for a while. I thought it was nightmares, a friend told me if it persists to talk to her doctor about it. That's what I would suggest.
    Smilechik

Answer by Smilechik at 10:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2008