I have a 4 year old daughter that had been severly delayed in development and is not talking at all!

She is smart as a whip and understands anything u tell her but will not say anything. she is not your normal 4 year old. she isnt potty trained yet and has had numerus problems growing up. she sees therapists once a week ! we have seen tons of doctors and they all say its something in the brain but no one can give us a diagnosis. is anyone else have a little one like this?

kdm077

Asked by kdm077 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I dont have a child with such a problem... But the best thing I can say is keep trying, dont give up some days will be better than others so keep up the good work =)
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 11:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I don't know, but I would say do some research and see if you can find a specialist. Do some research on "elective mutism". I've read several books by a special ed teacher named Torey Hayden who worked specifically with children who had elective mutism (didn't talk, but they didn't have any structural problems).
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My brother was like this. They took him to a speech therapist and they eventually got him talking....but for a long while they thought he'd never properly communicate verbally. He wet the bed until he was 11, didn't speak until he was about 5, but he was and still is super smart and artistic!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• hugsI don't, but I wanted to tell you to hang in there and keep doing the best you can!

the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My daughter is two and is just starting to really form sentences. While this may seem normal, it wasn't to me. My other three were early talkers so naturally (even though I knew every child would be different) I was concerned. I just started working with her as often as I could. Make it fun! i wish I had better advice, but all I can say is that i hope you find some answers!
    Momma24Cuties

Answer by Momma24Cuties at 10:25 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Have the doctors checked to see if she is tongue-tied? It is a condition when the flap of skin under the tongue is too short and doesn't allow room for movement of the tongue as normal.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 12:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My son turned three in November and hes just like this. He makes a lot of sounds but no words that are coherent, but he is smart as heck! We don't have a dx either aside from "developmental delay," he starts a special needs prek this month, hopefully someone there can con him into talking. You're doing a great job, don't forget to keep hope :)
    LovableNeurotic

Answer by LovableNeurotic at 5:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• she is tongue tied but she has enough leverage to move her tongue around enough to make the sounds needed for speech!
    kdm077

Comment by kdm077 (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• why haven't they referred you to a specialist??
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• they have we have seen a number of specialist but no one can tell us anything...they just keep passing us to other doctors.
    kdm077

Comment by kdm077 (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2011