• In the Spotlight:

In hindsight to my previous question…

Are people born Christian or do they choose to be Christian? I guess I just don't get enough ridicule on a daily basis... I"m just trying to grasp some understanding here... NOT trying to upset people. I'm trying to play devil's advocate and see more than just one side of a conversation. PLEASE don't think I'm on here just trying to stir the pot...

sally1981

Asked by sally1981 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh - you just want all the attention, that's all!

Hmmm, I say you choose to be a Christian by following the teachings of Christianity and showing your love for Jesus.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 2:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• You are raised that way and as you grow up you choose, based on the sources of information you choose to listen to or read.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 2:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• According to the bible we are born Christian. However, some choose to believe otherwise. That's okay...it's a persons right to choose.
    Anonymous

• Ok I'm going to try and take it another step.
    I think a person is born with leanings to medical conditions and things like that and I think people are either born gay or straight and already have a personality that will just continue to evolve and grow but you can never become a completely different person than you started out as.
    I think religion is a learned behavior. I don't think you come out of your mom a Christian I think it is something you have to learn and be taught and it might not be something you agree with as you get older. There is something else I have in my head right now that I can't get into words so if I figure it out I'll come back. lol
    Mudfishzgirl

Answer by Mudfishzgirl at 2:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I can't speak for everyone, but I was born in an agnostic home and I became a believer as an adult.
    It's hard to explain what it feels like to have a testimony. One of my church leaders compared it to the statements "I know it's cold outside" and "I know I love my husband." How do we know it's cold outside? Because we can feel it. Could you explain to someone who has never felt cold what it feels like to be cold? The other statement, "I know I love my husband / wife" is another great comparison. How do you know you love your husband? Can you explain it? Can you prove it? It's a feeling that comes from deep inside of you. That's what a testimony is like. It is a feeling that cannot be proven or explained, but those of us who believe know without a doubt that God is real.
    4boysmom32

Answer by 4boysmom32 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I guess I don't have the context to understand the question.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Okay... Basic common sence...

IF we are all born christian that would mean that a person with NO religious learning would have christian beliefs... Since we don't all automaticly have christian beliefs we are NOT born christian... Beliefs are just that. Rational or many time irrational personal deductions of personal experiences, learned facts or personal emotion feelings... In essance it's all learned... Even if it's self taught...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Obviously religious beliefs are not inborn. If no one taught us anything we would not spontaneously be Christians. We might be born with a tendency to search for meaning and in many people that is how they find God or religion, but we are not born a specific religion. But that is very different from an issue like sexual orientation.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Great response Sabrina, I agree with you.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 2:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I was born into a Catholic family, but when I got older I chose to be Atheist.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 3:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2008