Spin off question: How many words/sentences can your two year old say?

We all know every child is different, I'm just curious because of the post about 9 month olds.

DD is 2 and can communicate with us just fine when she WANTS to lol. Sometimes, you can't even get a word out of her and sometimes she just jabbers. She said "banana" perfectly the other day, though and I was like, "YAY!" because before that it had been "nana." I think she's learning a new word every other day now lol. She scared my mom a couple of weeks ago because she said, "sit," and my mom thought she said another "s" word haha. I think she can say about 50 words, roughly, but I'm not sure (and I'm tired so I don't feel like counting lol). Where did my tiny baby that I brought home from the hospital "yesterday" go? :( They grow up sooo fast.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 11:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have twin 2 year old boys and they just say words...and a few two word sentences. I think they know a lot more than they are letting me know about....cause they'll come out with big words like "backpack"....lol
    Anonymous

• This also reminded me of a story about one of my cousins who didn't speak until he was 3. He just pointed to everything but wouldn't say a word, and my aunt took him to the doctor. They said nothing is wrong with him; he's just being lazy. When he finally started talking, it was in COMPLETE sentences. He had been picking up all kinds of vocabulary and just liked having everyone else do stuff for him, I guess. LOL There's definitely a big range of normal when it comes to talking.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• my son will be 3 in may and he says about 70 words and just started putting two words together. he has autism but speech therapy has helped him a lot
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• really? i'm shocked, my 2 year old can talk and negotiate like a 5 year old. she asks me everything! like why she cant wear make up, what i'm gonna cook, how food is prepared, what EVERYTHING in the pantry is for. but she we live close by to all her cousins, and none of them can speak very well. they just say words, and sometimes sentences. i'm not bashing, every kid learns at his/her own pace. but like they say, "the sooner they learn to talk, the sooner they learn to talk back." thats what we're going through these days, saying mean things to mommy, :P. n sometimes she would make fun of what people are wearing and doing in public, in a very loud and clear voice. SO EMBARRASSING!
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My son is about 2 1/2 and I've totally lost track of how many words he can say to be honest. I kept track at first though. He can pretty much repeat any words or sentences we say--even stuff like metamorphosis and humidifier (although he says 'hemofier'). lol I know he can put together sentences up to 5 or 6 words now, and I would guess that he knows at least 100 words or more. He also knows the alphabet and the sounds the letters make, and he can count to 20 (except for some reason he always skips either 14 or 15--maybe he gets confused since they both start with the f sound and thinks they're the same), and he's pretty good about naming objects and pointing stuff out in books. I was impressed the other day when we were looking at a book with all kinds of sea animals, and he was able to point out the Puffin on his own on a page full of penguins and other birds.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I just mentioned this in the other question, but when he was 2 I wrote down every word my first son said- and it's translation. He had about 70 words, that included some names of friends and family and also words like "the, uh oh, boo!, and eew!" There was almost nothing that he pronounced clear enough for anyone other than me and my husband to know what he was saying. For example kitty was "dee", grandma was "Beeda" cow was "moo" (I guess that one is pretty obvious) and pig was "oip" (like oink but ending in a p) train was "doo-doo" (for choo choo) etc. His speech improved a lot by 3 and now at 5 you would never guess he was a slow talker.
    My daughter talked in full sentances and fairly clearly by 2.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I've heard that if you have an only child, and they aren't around others their age, that can delay speech a little. I know two of my friends each have 2 children and their oldest children didn't talk very much until the younger was born (about 18 months later for each of them), and then the youngest started talking really early.

DH didn't start talking very much until he was like 4 or 5 (and he's a freakin' genius, dang him lol) and I started talking before I was 1 (and I'm less than a genius lol), so maybe DD will take after her daddy and be a brainiac and like math and science a lot lol. I really hope she does, because I HATED it in school.

Ok I'm babbling really bad, it's time for bed lol (oh and I'm not saying that speech is in any way connected to intelligence, I was just making that connection between how DD and DH are/were and how I hope she'll be like her daddy in the brains department).
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My DD is 21 months old and says more words than we can count! And she is really starting to put things together to make complete sentences. She is the only child and has a lot of friends, but most are younger.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• When my now 4 year old was 2 she was pretty much talking in sentences that we could actually understand she would slur some words & sometimes would take a lil while getting out what she needed to say but i was surprised at how much she could say.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 1:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My son is 2 and he pretty much says everything. He's not 100% understandable to everyone yet but he's getting better... and his sentences are still funny sometimes. Like the other day I told him that he couldn't do something... and he asks me, "mamma, why you say no for? no say no" SO his sentence structure is a little funny still, but I find it adorable :)
    We are at the stage right now that we have to be VERY careful about what we say or what is on TV because he will repeat EVERYTHING.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:19 AM on Feb. 1, 2011