Traveling w/ Sole Temporary custody?

Can I travel abroad if I have temporary sole custody? Or do I still need consent from my DS's father?

I've been looking online and can't find any answers. Any advice would help.

myree85

Asked by myree85 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Travel

• If you are going to be gone during the other party's court ordered visitation time, then yes, you do. To be safe you should draft a letter and send it to your lawyer (so he/she can have a record of it), the other party & the other party's lawyer. If they raise a stink over it, the law is on your side so don't feel as if you're in the wrong or have to back off from your plans. I have four kids and dealt with things like this for years. We're going through the adoption process with my current husband, so it's soon to be over. Good luck!
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 9:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It varies from state to state. In Louisiana you can.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would check with your lawyer, I think you have to at least inform the other parent
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't have a lawyer and neither does my ex and he doesn't have any court order visitation. I'm also curious if I can even get a passport for my DS. He sees my DS when one of his parents supervises about 2 or 3 times a month, no court ordered visitation.
    myree85

Comment by myree85 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2011