Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Traveling w/ Sole Temporary custody?

Can I travel abroad if I have temporary sole custody? Or do I still need consent from my DS's father?

I've been looking online and can't find any answers. Any advice would help.


Asked by myree85 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Travel

Level 23 (15,595 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • If you are going to be gone during the other party's court ordered visitation time, then yes, you do. To be safe you should draft a letter and send it to your lawyer (so he/she can have a record of it), the other party & the other party's lawyer. If they raise a stink over it, the law is on your side so don't feel as if you're in the wrong or have to back off from your plans. I have four kids and dealt with things like this for years. We're going through the adoption process with my current husband, so it's soon to be over. Good luck!

    Answer by derosia_mama at 9:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • It varies from state to state. In Louisiana you can.

    Answer by harris4 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • I would check with your lawyer, I think you have to at least inform the other parent

    Answer by shivasgirl at 1:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • I don't have a lawyer and neither does my ex and he doesn't have any court order visitation. I'm also curious if I can even get a passport for my DS. He sees my DS when one of his parents supervises about 2 or 3 times a month, no court ordered visitation.

    Comment by myree85 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2011