What do you do? When as parent you are not an the same page. In what treatment is best for your child?

I'm a stay at home mother. My husband spends about two to four waking hours at home. So, I do all the preschool, doctors, and other appointments. My son had or has some behaviors. That I am having problems with (aggression as one). I took him to the doc who had testing done. Then, more testing. Now, six months later and in preschool. My son has a team of people on his behave. They told me today. That my son has Asperger and will need a lot more treatment to help him. His dad says enough is enough. He wants me to take him out of all treatment and preschool. Dad says, he is normal. That all the people on my sons team don't know what they are doing. The team states that doing this will: hurt my son in the long run. My son is three soon to be four. I want what is best for him. I don't know what that is? Treatment or No treatment. As his parent what do I do? Go with dad or a team of professional?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh gosh first of all i would talk to him about how strongly you feel about helping your son and the reasons for it. PLEASE get him help now! It is so important to help him early! My son has asperger's and started a special school when he was 3. He has continued to progress and does fine in regular school(now homeschools due to severely lacking school system). I know a few people that have children with asperger's and all got help for their kids at different stages in their life. Believe me.........he needs it now! He will need help for MANY years to come and you have to advocate for him! In the middle school and high school level especially it will be important for the school to be able to help also!~~~~~~GL
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:07 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• The dad needs to meet with the doctors and therapists. He is being childish, and ignoring the facts.

I am so sorry, you must feel so alone. Please find a support group for moms with kids who have Aspergers

Answer by rkoloms at 6:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Does he have any vacation or sick time? Ask him to take a day off and come with you to an appointment so he can hear with his own ears. Guys sometimes aren't willing to admit that one of their children has a problem. My husband has always been very good about going to doctor/dentist appointments and we generally can agree on what needs to be done. Sometimes even hearing it from a doctor is not enough, but I hope it will be for your sake! If he can't get time off, you could always ask to call and have him speak with the doctor. Tell the doctor your husband has some concerns about whether treatment is the best option for your son, and go from there.
    Momma24Cuties

Answer by Momma24Cuties at 10:23 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Go with the team of professionals. It can only help. Ask for regular progress reports to show your husband.
    Don't let your son down.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 3:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• That's a tough one, for starters let dad know that you and his son need his involvement. He can't make that judgment if he's away from the home most of the time. I would agree that 3 years old is an early age to diagnose behavior problems, but you as a parent have a decision to make in the best interest of your child.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• thank you for all your answers I will do all I can to get him on the same page
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2011