Can my husband use my credit card if my name is on it?

Could he go somewhere and buy something using it? Would they let him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• I was in line behind a woman whose credit card said Mrs. John Doe at a small Mom & Pop store. They refused to let her use her card. She wrote them a check and complained loudly. I thought she was a fool for having her credit card set up that way. Geez was she not a person anymore because she was married, gave up her first name too! Besides the fact that she was obviously a fool for compaining so loudly.
    But now they don't even ask to see the card if you swipe it yourself and you don't have to sign if it is under $25. If you want to stop him form using it you can call the credit card company and ask that they put some kind of alert on your account so the cashier has to double check you every time. It will slow down your own shopping, but if he uses your account against your wishes you will be in a better position to fight the charges.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• walmart will let him use it. most stores will if the last names are the same
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 12:07 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yes, I use my husband's card all the time.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 12:09 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Most places he would be fine..... And honestly he could sign it Mickey Mouse and a lot of places wouldn't even notice.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I'd be careful though. I've been in some places that they actually ask for your ID before you can use the card. What would happen if he happened to be one of them? I wouldn't take the chance, I'd just do it myself.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:50 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have used my husband debit card when he wasn't with me and I have been carded for it too. The cashiers have told me as long as it doesn't come up as lost or stolen it's fine and as long as the last name matches we are ok. We also talked to the bank about this and they said as long as it isn't an alarming amount being spent ( more than normal) they will not flag the account.
    tyandlukesmom

Answer by tyandlukesmom at 3:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• A lot of places won't even look. But unless he's given permission to use the card, then no technically he can't. If you're really upset you could press charges for it.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I'm talking walmart.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• so much for theft right? lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• they arent suppose to every store i ever worked at always said to ask for id but now one ever does thats why there are so many credit card theifs but ive done used my aunts credit card at stores and my so has used mine
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 3:58 AM on Feb. 1, 2011