Shots at 2 months & sick

My baby had her shots a week ago and she ended up getting a fever that day which they say is normal but all week she's been taking fewer ounces and she's been throwing up chunky sour formula. She lays around like she doesn't feel well. She sleeps all day and night some days and others, she moves frantically and can't sit still, very cranky, from the minutes she's awake til she goes to sleep...there's no diarrhea and no fever except for the day of her shots, I don't know what's wrong with her, I called the ER but they don't give advice over the phone...I would take her to her pediatrician but I'm still on maternity leave from work and I'm unable to make my monthly insurance payments so her doctor won't see her until I do. Is this normal?...am I just overreacting?...it's not her formula & she doesn't seem sick...this all started happening after the shots

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should be able to take her somewhere even if you're not insured at the moment. Hospitals don't play around with sick babies that young, it's horrible that her pediatrician will although I think mine would be the same if I didn't have insurance. I went through hell at my son's first appt. because his card hadn't come in the mail yet and they didn't believe that I added him. Anyway, do you know if your insurance will be retroactive when you do get it back? Sometimes insurance plans will cover medical bills I think up to 3 months prior. That way you can take her wherever and your insurance should cover it once you start paying again. But I'd definitely try to get her seen somewhere.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i just took my mekky to his 4mth appt. and i was scared because of the shots. he got the same shots at his 2mth afterwards it was horrible. he was fussy, cranky extra poop no eating. staying up all day and night. only sleeping for 20mins or so. it was like he was afraid to go to sleep/nightmares or something. when he'd accidently let himself fall asleep he'd wake up screaming. so i talked to moms and found out its the shots. those things are suppose to make them feel terrible. so the 4th mth. i gave him a drop of the infant tylenol before shots. it worked. yeah he was still fussy and cried but as soon as we got home. i nursed him for 2hrs non stop i never put him down. just let him stay up underneth me. it didn' t wheather he stopped eating or not. and the comfort of me being there put him to sleep for 6 hours.
    anothergage

Answer by anothergage at 3:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• There should be some place where you can take the baby. I wasn't sure if we were going to have insurance when our last baby was born and my ob told me that in Pa all babies are covered under the state for the first 30 days regardless. Also we have a catholic hospital nearby and they will not refuse care to you. What I started doing with my youngest was splitting up his shots. I wanted him to have them but what he was supposed to get at one appt I spread into two appt. So he got some and we went back a month later and got the rest. He didn't have the fever and crankiness that my first had with the shots.
    Anonymous

• please take her in to the ER mamma. Better safe than sorry.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i would take her to a Dr. when my daughter got her 1st set of shots, an emergency nurse hotline number told me to take her to the ER. they gave her Childrens Motrin and Tylenol to bring the fever down. they also told me that a fever can cause an upset stomach and that if my daughter drank milk, it made her stomach feel worse. and by that, it looked like she was throwing up cottage cheese. i would def. take her to the Dr but also make sure she is getting plenty of fluids!
    ang0343

Answer by ang0343 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I'm not sure if the insurance will be retroactive when I return back to work, it just seems stupid that I would pay backpay for time that I wasn't covered...I've talked to my HR dept but I can't seem to get a clear answer on all that...this is all new to me bcuz with my first daughter I didn't work. As for her getting plenty of fluids...I've been giving her the Similac sensitive canned liquid formula bcuz of possible colic but bcuz she's been peeing less and acting sick & dehydrated, I temporarily switched to the powder and I've just been adding a little more water to it, it's been working a little better, she hasn't thrown up since...thank you all very much for your advice, it's greatly appreciated.
    Anonymous