Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Help with adoption costs

My husband and I are looking to adopt. There is a child we would like to make an inquiry about that is 4400 miles away. (we and they are both in the US), but because costs are so expensive we would like some ideas on how to help pay for this. We have thought of garage sales, selling on ebay, etc, and we are going to try to afford this on our own without help if we can, but I know that may not be possible so we would like to know if anyone out there has adopted and gotten help from grants? or is there any way to really successfully acquire one? just background, as most of you know, that have adopted out of state, we have to look at a place to stay for a week, maybe 2, meals, rental car, gas, things to do with the child when we get there, and most expensively, plane tickets there and an extra if they let us return with the child...........any insight?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Adoption

Answers (7)
  • I know a lot of places where you can go to get this all figured out... although I do have one question for you.... are you a military spouse or dependent perchance?

    Answer by lynn.cox22 at 12:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • Are you officially matched with this child? Is it thru foster care? My husband and I are in the process of adopting a child that was 900 miles away, we drove 18 hours, 5 trips... Thankfully CPS in the adoptive state helped tremendously with expenses, plus my husbands employer helps with adoption expenses, so you might want to look into adoption help thru your employers... Good luck!

    Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 1:57 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • I have my own business, but its just me and I just got started so funds arent there. My old employer used to.....not officially matched yet......but I want to get ahead incase it works

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • The US gives an adoption tax credit at tax time. It is currently $13,170. It may only be claimed AFTER if you are finalized this year, you can claim up to that amount on your taxes next year. There are grants available as well... used to assist with domestic, but I'm not sure if they still do...

    Answer by mcginnisc at 7:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • The IRS just made the adoption tax credit fully refundable, which means that you will recover the $13,170 whether your tax liability was that much or not.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • good luck

    Answer by san78 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • As the others have mentioned, there is the tax credit. If you have collateral, many banks will do an "adoption loan" or you could try a home equity loan and then use the credit to pay it back.

    Otherwise, you might want to contact the state agency that you're talking about adopting from. Since you want an extra ticket, it sounds like you're talking about an older child, so there might be reimbursement funds to help with some of the expenses. Even if there isn't, they might know of some local charities that might be able to provide you with discounted lodging. You could also contact airlines to see if any of them are willing to donate your airfare. Some of them might be...

    Answer by DDDaysh at 8:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Adoption
Are you Adopted?

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Hotel California