why?

k I am not trying to be mean at all and more power to those who can speak multiple languages but it just irks my nerves when i have to press one for English and cant even understand wth the person on the other line is telling me. I think if you are going to be answering a phone for english speaking people you should be able to speak it english clearly....imo

suhweetness

Asked by suhweetness at 12:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I can not agree with that. My Dad had an accent & ignorant people would tell him to stop speaking spanish when he was speaking Norwegian.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 12:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i have no problem with that at all i love accents but when u are calling about a bill or somethign and u press one for english and you can not understand a word that the person is saying it gets slightly frustrating and i am sure you could understand your dad perfectly fine because you were raised hearing it...i mean i know some french and spanish but i wouldnt work at an answering service place and answer sppanish and french calls
    suhweetness

Comment by suhweetness (original poster) at 12:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Man, that's hilarious, Idaspida!! What an annoyance!

I don't think ignorance plays well anywhere, and like every other language, has 'standard' pronunciation and accent. While we tend to like intelligible accents, like English or Aussie, when it changes the speed or pacing of the words, or pronounces everything differently, it just sounds uneducated. I'm amazed that companies allow the people with the worst accents to do those kind of recordings...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I agree OP...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 2:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have no problem pressing 1 for English, but it is annoying when it turns out that person doesn't really speak understandable English.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 6:33 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Regardless of what language a person speaks, they are either well spoken ~ or not. Those who are not should NOT be answering phones.

Whatever entity (business or government) provides well spoken phone workers for those who press '2', they should provide equally well spoken workers for those who press '1'.

Those who don't get a piece of my mind and a long winded explanation on the difference between good and pitiful business practices.

There are many days when I sincerely miss rotary phones.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I know what you mean! I just had the same problem with nurses at the hospital, it is infuriating!

Answer by older at 8:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I agree OP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I dont agree. America is a melting pot and we are also one of the only countries who makes an issue of having multiple languages. You do know when you travel to other countries they have American signs up? Do you think their citizens say learn to speak ________? No they dont. They actually learn multiple languages themselves.
    Second, as for getting someone on the line who doesnt speak English. That is outsourcing. There is an easy solution. Tell them you only wish to speak to an AMERICAN. That insures American jobs as well. As long as companies get away with outsourcing they wont change. If everyone did this less customer service jobs would be in other countries.

Answer by gemgem at 9:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't care that much. I just assume they are trying thier best to help me. Besides, in the past, when i truly couldn't understand someone told them i couldn't understand them and asked to speak to someone else and i got a native english speaker right away.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2011