Do you believe people "fall out of love"?

I was having a conversation with my husband about one of his co-workers saying he does not love his wife anymore.. that he has "fallen out of love with her" and my husband thinks that this is not true, that people dont fall out.. that the reason is that he never loved her in the first place. I think differently, I believe people fall in love or out of it.. What do you think?

yvonne37

Asked by yvonne37 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't really believe in that either. I think you fall into lust, but you grow into love! Love is the whole entire package, trust, respect, etc.. etc..
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:02 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I think people change and if you don't change TOGETHER, you will grow apart...then people think they fell out of love, but if it was real love, then it doesn't just disappear.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:03 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i would have to agree with u i loved my x dearly in the beginning but as the years went by and the more horrible he got the more i disliked him
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 1:03 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I would have to agree with you fully.... See when me and my ex husband meet I was totally in Love with him... but as time went by and he started to change I fell completely out of love with him... I knew there was no hope in fixing something that couldn't be fixed! For instance in a marriage you know there are going to be arguments of course. People who are in fact in love learn to tune out the bad thoughts and work things out... in bad relationships yes the love is there but it fads out like a candle because it just doesn't' want to flicker anymore or the wick burns completely out....and when this happens couples realize the love there is no more...
    lynn.cox22

Answer by lynn.cox22 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• thats how i feel.. with my ex i was completly in love with him, we made so many plans and got along well.. but he started changing.. so in my opinion I fell in love with a man that he was not. Also I agree sometimes people dont "grow" together or just fade away to different paths.
    I love my husband and i know he loves me, we have arguments and we have changed, sometimes we argue and i feel like leaving, but then I think of what made me love him in the first place and it all comes into place. You have to work in a relationship, but if one of the couple is not "woking it" then that means the love has vanished.
    yvonne37

Comment by yvonne37 (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I agree with the kimmers, growing together as best you can and trying to understand and give space when your SO doesn't flow with you, is critical to staying in love. I DO believe people fall out of love.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• yes people fall out of love. the day my ex left i know for a fact that i wasn't in love with him anymore.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It's possible for some..but they must not have truly been in love in the first place.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I can't imagine ever falling out of love with my husband but I do think it's possible. I watched my parents fall out of love.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 4:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• People fall in and out of love ALL THE TIME. I just hate it when you fall out of love, you lose a friend, that is what is sad. Why can't a guy stay friendly to someone he once had sex once to sex is over with? Why is there such an emotional disconnect? Women do it too, but I think a real solid friend is the most important thing in the world.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 7:25 AM on Feb. 1, 2011