What is my best option for iron deficiency?

I found out I have low iron and should be taking a supplement. I can't swallow pills, though. Are there any liquids or chewables I can take?

jazztastic

Asked by jazztastic at 10:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Health

• Go to the grocery store and get black strap molasses and add about a 1/2 to a 1 tsp. to your diet. You can mix it with something to make it go down better. Also purchase a cast iron pan and cook in that it will also help boost your iron levels.
    WatchGirl29

Answer by WatchGirl29 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Be sure to combine iron with Vitamin C. It increases iron's absorbency. For instance, eat a spinach salad with mandarin orange slices. Or take iron tablets with Vitamin C tablets.
    nell_brinkley

Answer by nell_brinkley at 10:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Try cutting back or out dairy products, caffeine and carbonated products, as these strip iron from the body. Eating iron rich foods will help, also there are herbs that you can take that will help. When I was pregnant my midwife had me on Yellow Dock tincture 40 drops a day (put it in orange juice, it tastes bad) and it brought my iron up quickly, then 20 drops a day to maintain my level.
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 10:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Thanks. I'll have to look for those drops and also get some orange juice/oranges to keep up with the Vitamin C as well.
    jazztastic

Answer by jazztastic at 11:20 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• start cooking your meals in a cast iron skillet. the iron from the pan transfers into the food thus boosting your iron.
    yathere

Answer by yathere at 12:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I have anemia so I know how the low iron thing goes. If you can't take iron pills, perhaps changing your diet with some Vit-c and iron. or Looking for some powdered suppliment you can add to your drink once a day which I know they do have or chewables as well. There are alot of options you can do, Go to a health food store like a GNC or something like that and tell them you can swallow pills and they can find something for you. I was allergic to enechinacia and needed something simillar to help me boost my immune system since mine does suck and they helped me on that one as well, so I would ask or ask a pharmisist. Good luck :)
    TwistedMalice

Answer by TwistedMalice at 1:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I started taking a liquid multi-vitamin a few months ago and have no problems. I feel great, my levels are great and it only costs $19.95 plus shipping. So total I pay 29.84, that's cheaper than what GNC had to offer or something from walmart.

Good luck!!

Here's the site if you want to look at it.
    http://www.shopgbg.com/teamf4
    lovin2Bme

Answer by lovin2Bme at 1:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Iron Multivitamin that has Boron in it and Magnesium. Visit me on my cafe mom site.Laura Halsey
    teamhalsey

Answer by teamhalsey at 11:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Vitamin C can help your body absorb iron, so it is a good idea to pair iron rich foods with foods that have a lot of Vitamin C, including citrus fruits and iron fortified orange juice.
    There is a list of different foods that are high in iron just cut and paste it
    I got this from http://pediatrics.about.com/od/nutrition/a/06_iron_foods.htm
    I don't like taking pills either. Hope this helps
    TRyan

Answer by TRyan at 12:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I know of a chewable mineral supplement that has a very good absorption rate that you could try. PM me for information on how to get it. For those who can swallow capsules it comes in capsule form also.
    MentorByDesign

Answer by MentorByDesign at 4:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2008