Is it true that home pregnancy tests are not always reliable for a lot of women?

The reason that I ask this is because my period is about a week late and never in my life has it been late before. I am 27 years old and married. I have been having unprotected sex since I have been married. We are not exactly trying, but wouldn't be disappointed at all if we were to have a baby.

I know there are other reasons why a woman's period can be late other than pregnancy. Medications: I have been on lots of antibiotics throughout my life for things like recurring bacterial infections & it never made my period late. Same with pain killers and other medications. I also have throughout my life been given many vaccinations (I travel a lot) for things like, Yellow fever, Typhoid fever, Malaria pills etc etc. I have even had 7 vaccinations at once in one month recently and still my period was not late.

Stress: I am not currently stressed. With that being said, I have been under extremely stressful situations what with all the traveling I do and such. Didnt change a thing. Other reasons for a late period: I don't have an infection. Even with bacterial infections, yeast infections in the past, aunt flo still arrived. I am not overweight nor am I anorexic. I
am not,and have never been on birth control. Even under all of these circumstances, no matter what contienent I am on, she always comes the same time. Only the hour change, and even that is strange.

I have taken several pregnancy tests and they are all negative. Whether or not I am pregnant doesn't matter to me, I just need to know if I am so I can start making some changes that will work a baby into my life. If I am not, then something is hormonally wrong with me because I have been tracking my period for the last 7 years and this is not normal. So I am thinking I simply didnt ovulate or I am going through menopause.

I keep getting cramps like my period is coming but it doesnt show. I'm wondering when I can guess my next fertile window .Is there a way to figure that out or am i just going to have to guess? I should ovulate again, right?!

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

EDIT: I know that nobody other than  a doctor can tell me what is going on. I just thouht maybe there was some women out there who had the same experience, and if so, what was wrong if you werent pregnant? I am more worried about something being wrong than I am about being pregnant.

yoshi2728

Asked by yoshi2728 at 1:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I can't give you a whole lot of advice, except to possibly see your doctor (if for nothing more than a solid yes or no on a pregnancy). Also, they do make ovulation tests (the same thing as HPT, but to determine whether or not you are ovulating).

I'll give you a bump and hope for some better answers! Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• All I got to say on this one is..... back when I found out I was pregnant with my lovely daughter I was almost 5 months along.... I took every single at home test possible.... (LEAST TO SAY ALL was NEG) for months... I got tired of it and finally was like... I'm going to a doc... and my goodness the surprise! I just think you should go get a second look sister!
    lynn.cox22

Answer by lynn.cox22 at 1:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i am just the opposite i never use to know when mine was coming now they r pretty regular just last forever as far as the preggo test goes anytime ive went to an ob to take one they ise the same little in the box stick that u buy otc....some of them dont read til a week after your missed period some a week before...i would wait a week or so take another one and if u it still says no go to a dr unless u start having bad pains then go to the dr immediately
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 1:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Personally, I don't bother with the ones that just show lines. I love EPT digital ones that flat out say "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant". I know I'm assuming you haven't taken one of these! :D It sounds like you've tried many different kinds.
    I would call the OB and go get a blood pregnancy test - it will detect the pregnancy hormone in your blood if it doesn't show up in your urine. I never experienced this but my next door neighbor was also 5 mo along when she found out she was pregnant... she had her period the whole time, (though hers were very abnormal & that contributed to the confusion), and found out one day when her boobs started leaking & she knew something wasn't right. I was pregnant at the time, completely normal pregnancy for me, and she ended up being farther along than I was!!
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 1:50 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• They are accurate for most women but there are women who don't get a positive for a long time. I recommend you go to your doctor and take a blood test to be sure.
    Nadali

Answer by Nadali at 2:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• they are sort of true if any color possible good news
    mrssamartin

Answer by mrssamartin at 4:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It is quite possible that the tests do not work for you.. but on the other hand it is quite possible for them to be working and for you to not be pregnant! I myself and 26 years old with one little angel.. from the time I started my period to just about a year ago, i was very regular for my periods, and then I started to get late.. this month I went six whole weeks without a period, and I swore to god I was pregnant test after test said no. I finally went to my ob, and in fact I was NOT pregnant.. A reason for not having a period could be an anovulatory cycle.. a cycle where you dont ovulate.. if you think you are pregnant, then go to the doctor, if you are not overly concerned about it, give it a few weeks, retest.. if it still says negative and you dont get your period, then I would call your OB.
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 9:25 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• false negatives are MMUUCCHH more common than false positives
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 12:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2011