family bed?

do you have one? We do and we love it

shivasgirl

Asked by shivasgirl at 2:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• We had Family bed until our youngest was 4. He slept from the minute he was born right next to us. I wouldn't have changed it for the world. I could feel him next to me and everything was right in the world. He is 17 now and I sure miss how sweet and perfect he felt next to us.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 3:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We did for the first year and then it was too uncomfortable and I don't want three kids in my bed. It is for some and not for all
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:19 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• what is that, is that where the parents co-sleep with the children? (like for their entire childhood?) If that is the case......well it's not really about the parents, it should ultimately always be about what is best for the child (as I keep telling my SO, who loves sleeping with our son, AS DO I!!!!) but i have done enough research on the subject to know that it is not good for the child in the long-run, nor is it good for the parents sexual relationship. yes u can always justify by stating that u can have sex elsewhere and at other times, but that does not justify my most important point.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Not ALL the time, but it is so comforting knowing she is right in between us if something happens. She is in her big girl bed most of the time now. She only sleeps with us if she is sick or if she had a bad dream. Our marriage hasn't suffered for it at all.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 3:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yep, on and off depending on how our lives are going. Now my kids are older (9,7,5,4) they are happy to be in their own bed. The great thing is that they are all so happy and secure because they had the family bed when they were little, and they remember and talk about sleeping and being Safe- feeling loved and not lost or scared :)
    yarngoddess57

Answer by yarngoddess57 at 4:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We did for many years. My spouse and I still talk about how much we miss it.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No. My kids are happy and secure but all slept in their cribs in their rooms from day 1.

Answer by missanc at 10:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2011