Almost 12 year old and hair dye

My almost 12 year old daughter wants to dye her hair black. she is medium blond naturally. would you let your daughter? If not, at what age would you let her dye her hair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• i dyed my dds hair when she was 8ish bc she kept coming home with head lice and everythign i tried would not work..and i heard somewhere the they didnt like color treated hair....but i dyed it her natural color....my lill cousin got highlights at 12 as far as being 12 and going from blonde to black the schools here wouldnt allow it so i suggest that if u do decided to let her do it make sure the school allows it first
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 2:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You can get some hair color that's relatively temporary. The thing about hair is that it grows back, it grows out, and it can always be changed. My daughter went through a stage where she tried lightening it, streaking it, darkening it! What does it hurt. Nothing! Let her experiment mom, and save yourself for the big battles, cause they are coming! Have her try a rinse first to see if she likes the color! Then go ahead and dye it. I promise she will grow out of this stage!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 2:34 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If you decided to let her do anything, let her do brown. You can't get black out without bleaching hair/ruining it. Let her do brown if anything!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have always figured 14 is a good age. Before that I might go for a rinse or highlights but not a drastic change.
    xredstarsx

Answer by xredstarsx at 3:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• my mom started letting me get high lights when i was in 5th grade. its a fun thing to do with moms and daughters togehter. i did dye my hair red once my freshmen year and i hated it so we had to bleach it and keep dyeing it blonde. (oh my nautral hair color is blonde) but it didnt ruin my hair at all. and on the bright side i got a straberry blonde afterwards. :)
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 3:09 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• me dd is 13 and has been asking to dye her hair since August. She is also dark blonde. I said absolutely not. I said she could get highlights, but that is it. I have seen the girls with the very black dyed hair and it looks too severe. My daughter is also very fair and I think it would wash her out. She is involved in musical theater so I told her it might restrict her from getting certain parts.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 6:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it, just be sure to use a non-toxic product, and check the school rules

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I first dyed my hair when I was around 12. I dyed it red... And ever since I've always changed my hair colour. It's part of who I am now. If I stopped changing my look, my family and friends would think there was something seriously wrong with me! LOL. Your daughter wants to express herself, that to me is great! Here in the UK you can get tempory hair dyes, even black, that really do come out, after a few washes.
    LaraHappyMummy

Answer by LaraHappyMummy at 6:46 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• There could be worse things she wants to do. She is trying to express herself, maybe you shoudl let her. Anyhow, she might end up hating it & wanting her pretty natural hair back.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:52 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I just remebered that when i was 12, I dyed my hair black when my mother said i couldn't. I still did it...LOL! She was so mad at first, but ended up liking it. After that, she stopped caring whether i dye my hair or not. Now that i am an adult, i NEVER dye my hair. My hair was like straw back then, never want that again. I want natural only.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:56 AM on Feb. 1, 2011