How do you clean a garbage disposal?

Ours is really starting to smell bad. But I have not idea what can be poured down it to get the smell to go away! At one time I heard of these packets you can put in there and ground it up, but I know they wouldn't have those where I live. Any cleaning supplies that you can use for it?

ILoveCade

Asked by ILoveCade at 2:16 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Chop a lemon in half and send it down there! Either that or bleach.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 2:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• pour a generous amount of baking soda down there, let it sit for a while before rinsing.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• One thing I've noticed with ours is it's not always the actual disposal that stinks but the ring of the "guard" in the sink and right up inside of there. I use an old crummy toothbrush and pull that ring up and clean that and the rim just inside where it sits with the toothbrush.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i throw a lemon in there. usually just the rind after cooking. keeps the disposal smelling fresh and clean.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 2:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I use the lemon, but I add ice to it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Any citrus rind will do it. There is also a product available called Plink that I've used from time to time. It's designed for cleaning garbage disposals.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Baking soda then vinegar, let it sit for about 10-15 min then pour a couple of cups of boiling water down it. If that doesn't totally do it then I'd do the lemon rind

Answer by admckenzie at 6:26 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I do several things if I have them...

whole oranges or lemons (cut in 1/2)
    1 cup lemon juice poured slowly while disposal is running (cold water running)
    and once a week I put 1/2 cup of bleach down the drain...
    Also to help clean out the drain after you have used it, b4 shutting it off squirt
    some of your dish soap down it and allow to suds up and rinse thru... that too
    helps clean it out and keep odor down...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Baking Soda and Vinegar can go in the disposal to clean it. Running 1/2 a lemon in it will help the smell. And use a baking soda and water paste to clean the seal in the sink and the cover.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You can clean the blades by sending a chopped lemon and ice cubes through it. You can clean the drain a bit by pouring in a cup of baking soda followed by a cup of vinegar followed by a pot of boiling water.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2011