what do contractions feel like?

I'm 36 weeks and I went to the hospital for a stress test and the monitor showed I had 2 contractions while i was there and I didn't even know.... What do they feel like so that I can time them..I'm afraid 've been having them and have not known

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i didnt feel mine at first either but they told me if you dont feel them they arnt doing much good so i wouldnt worrie about it. second when you are having strong contractions you will know. they are like a period cramp but 10times worse and you will feel your belly tighten up.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• If they are true labor contractions, you will know. Trust me. :) :)

What you had during your stress test were probably Braxton Hicks contractions, which some women feel and others don't. (Epsecially if it is your first pregnancy - I never felt any during my first.)

Don't worry about the BH contractions, because when your body is really going into labor you will notice the pain! For me, they feel like strong pressure in my lower back that quickly spreads around the front of my abdomen, then clamps down and SQUEEEEEZES really (painfully!!) hard. And they will get more intense as you have them, so it will be impossible to ignore.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Oh. You don't need to worry, trust me. I would know because I NEVER even felt one contraction up until the day I went into labor. I was wondering too, like how am I supposed to know if I don't feel it? OMG you will feel it, no doubt! The beginning ones hurt 10x period cramps, and the last few ones before the push? ahhh I thought I was going to die! LOL not trying to scare you, but you're going to get an epidural right? I just felt so much pain because I didn't get any. You don't need to be afraid about those contractions you don't feel because they're not really doing anything to push the baby out. Hope your labor goes well, mine was 5 hours and less than 10 minutes of pushing and it was my first baby! Hope you get that lucky!
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 3:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Real contrax at first feel a lot like very strong BH contrax, but eventually they will be more uncomfortable and you will KNOW it's the real deal. With my last 6 labors, it took a few convincing contrax before I knew it was time to call the midwife. Although they feel a lot like BH, they are much more intense and pretty much feel like you have a giant belt around your middle that is being tightened, tighter and tighter and tighter. Just when you think you can't take it anymore, it will start loosening and the contraction will end. With my last baby, my real labor contrax were so mild and almost painless, even at 8 cm dilated, it was weird, but I'd say that is very unusual, and I think my uterus was just "in good shape" from giving birth so many times already LOL!
    Godluvzu

Answer by Godluvzu at 3:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• You will feel it. But the contraction you had on the monitor was not a braxton hick, because braxtons dont show up on the monitors. But as the lady said, if you cant feel them, your not in true labor... because trust all of us... you will know!!! contractions are like this... a very very very very BAD HORRIBLE period cramp in your lower stomach.. as your whole stomach tightens up!!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• most of these are so minor you can't feel them. When I was 39 weeks pregnant I had an induction done because my amniotic fluid was low. The first day the monitor said my contractions were 2 minutes apart, but I wasn't dialating. I wasn't feeling any of them. The next day they tried another method. By 12 o'clock I could definately feel them. It starts a little in the back and works towards your stomach. If you aren't feeling them, don't worry, it's just not time. When you start to feel them and then time them and they are 4 to 5 minutes apart... it's time to go to the hospital. You can also talk to your doctor about getting some brochures about them too.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Sometimes, you can not feel the contractions but you are already dilating...It happens to me with my 3rd baby. When I got to the hospital I was 3 cm., then when active labor started...YOU WILL KNOW, those are painful. I told the nurse that I did not have pain and she told me that it was impossible...but it happens....you can have some contractions and not even feeling them.
    With my 1st child it was a lot of back pain...with the 2nd one were cramps...very bad cramps.
    If you start having them, drink lots of water and lye down, monitor the time...if they slow down were false...It will happen a lot...But I was so ready , that I used to go to get checked...LOL
    mamadetresbbg

Answer by mamadetresbbg at 2:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2008