How Would you Feel if the the "Welcoming Schools" Curriculum Came to Your School?

The "Welcoming Schools" curriculum, teaches children from kindergarten an up, to be very tolerant of gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgenders.

It includes reading stories such as King and King (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_&_King), and learning about families with two parents, and tells the kids its okay to be gay.....

It is published by the HRC, they also provide a "coming out guide" and more.

I was just curious what you would do if it came to your kids school?

BE HONEST you can be anonymous!

Please be nice and respectful in your answers - no bullying!

Here are some links:

http://www.baywindows.com/index.php?ch=columnists&sc=mombian&id=52368
http://www.welcomingschools.org/
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/09/14/snow.same.sex.video.cnn

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think its okay to teach that its wrong to BULLY but why is it so focused on gays? Why don't they teach its wrong to not bully on Christians, fat kids, kids with glasses, kids with big noses, etc?
    Anonymous

• I would withdraw my kid from school in a New York minute.
    Anonymous

• I dont think it is something that should be taught everyday, and also not to the younger children. I think that is something that is for older kids if at all.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 3:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I homeschool and we already teach our kids about treating other people with love and respect, and about how families are different and some kids have two mommies, or two daddies, or only one parent, etc. I wouldn't mind incorporating this curriculum into our school at all, it sounds really interesting.
    bluecrayon

Answer by bluecrayon at 3:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• WOW, did you check out how to answer the questions from kids on the welcomingschools site? Sheesh, that should be up to the parents!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Um, that would never be taught at my kids school in TX, trust me!
    Anonymous

• I'm so glad my son is out of school already... however, I know one day I will be a grandparent and I'm sure the curriculums will be even worse... so glad he's already decided his kids will be homeschooled or private school.
    Anonymous

• I would react the same way that an atheist would probably react if they were learning about Jesus, God, and the Bible in school.
    Anonymous

• I'd be excited. My (2 year old) son's school is extremely liberal, and I love it.
    I don't want my son to think anyone is less than him for any reason, and I enjoy celebrating differences in people.

Christian schools do not teach these values.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 3:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I think that schools are for academics only. We are so far behind other countries in education it is insane, and laughable. It would be a complete waste of time to do this. I think that when our population becomes more educated the anti gay attitude that is so obvious in our country will work itself out, and not be an issue anymore.

That being said if this does become an issue, I don't think this should be "gay specific" I'd like it if my son was taught to love and accept everyone. I plan on doing that, but it would be nice to get some back up at school.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 3:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2008