stop wetting the bed and thumbing sucker

granted i was 9 before i stopped wetting the bed completely but it would wake me up when i did and i would change and stuff...well my 5 year old still wets the bed almost nightly and it doesnt faze her one bit she sleeps right through it her blanket always reeks of urine and she doesnt care i wash it as often as i can...and i cant get her to stop sucking her thumb although now it is aonly when she is going to sleep or engrossed in the tv HELP

suhweetness

Asked by suhweetness at 3:46 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Your stressing could be part of the problem. It sounds as though the thumb sucking is working its way out. So she is a heavy sleeper that is not bothered with the wet pants. Perhaps she needs to continue to wear pullups for a while longer. That will save the bedding and that work.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i am really not stressing over it i dont think was just looking to see if there were some other things i could do to help her as far as the thumbsucking goes the dentist said the will have to put a device in her mouth if she doesnt stop soon bc it is messing up her teeth but the wa i look at it is that it is her baby teeth and they having nothing to do with the way her adult teeth come in
    suhweetness

Comment by suhweetness (original poster) at 4:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My mom had that problem with my bro. She didn't let him drink anything at all 2 hrs before his bed time. A few accidents, but nothing like it was.
    The thumb sucking was very hard to break that habit. For awhile we used gloves with stuff that is used for dogs when u want him to stop a certain behavor, sour apple I think, then we sprayed it on his thumb and fingers. Tht stuff tastes really really bad, and it will not harm her. I don't knowif that stuf is aviable anymore, but check Wal-mart.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My one step son was a severe bed wetter. Sometimes, it is not their fault. He slept through it as well, not because he didn't care, but because he was THAT deep of a sleeper. We tried cutting back on fluids, eliminating caffiene, waking him up several times a night to go to the bathroom, mattress alarms, visualization techniques and none of it worked. He would even wet through the Goodnights. We took him to medical doctors and finally to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist said that some kids have an issue that their brain does not mature enough to turn off the bladder when they are sleeping or to wake the body up. As by this point my SS was 11 and really wanted to sleep over at friends houses, we put him on medication to help this issue. It was a miracle. He took the medication until he was about 14 1/2.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:16 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• So, keep in mind that it might not be her fault and try not to get frustrated with her

Try all the techniques, but remember not to blame her for what is happening. No liquids after dinner, nothing but water after 3pm and no caffeine products.

Wake her up to go at least once during the night.

But the most important is being supportive-no matter how frustrated you feel. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:19 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My nieces kids are 5 and 8 and still wear pullups to bed. It varies from child to child.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:43 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• my 5 yr old ds does. it drives me nuts. he was pottu trained for 8 months and then he just started doing again. he can hold it, he just doesn't. so, i just do endless loads of laundry....it sux, good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011