Did I screw up?

Ok so last night I email my friend and told him he was becoming my new best friend because he is fun to hang out with and respects me and I expect nothing more but friendship from him. Al he responded back was good night. The he apologized and said he was just in a bad mood. We have talked and agreed we are just going to be friends and nothing more but I felt like I needed to tell him how I felt, now I'm wondering if I somehow screwed up or if he really was just in a bad mood, I mean I know I will know something later today if I talk to him but what do you guys think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• No you didn't screw up. But I think it is hard for guys to be friends with ladies if they have, well, feelings for her. I have had that problem too.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 7:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I would not call it a "screw up." But I do think your comment probably made him feel uncomfortable in some way. I, of course, don't know your friend, but I do know that there are many men who prefer to do the pursuing and are put off by women who seem to take on that role in any small way. It might be that if you just back off and give him time to think about the situation, he might get back to his old self. I would not bring this subject up again to him., if I were you.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Perhaps the use of a term like 'new best friend' put him off. That is a very childish thing to say. I would not have any respect for a person if they contacted me and told me they were my new best friend.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You were honest, and I would have taken that as an off-hand remark. If he was offended/upset by what you said I would wonder if he was looking for more than friendship, regardless of what you agreed on.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Men tend to avoid when they feel uncomfortable. I would let it be....odds are he will chat again and if he brings it up then discuss otherwise let it go if you wanna remain friends.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 10:09 AM on Feb. 1, 2011