Sending messages back and forth online; How do you know the other person is even interested in talking to you?

I ask this because it's so easy just not to answer.
Here's the deal: I found somebody on facebook I went to school with and thougth "How nice! Wouldn't it be nice to get in touch?" (not looking for a realtionship, happily married)
Back then he was the quiet, nerdy, 5'4" -type and he says he still is. So we've been texting a bit back and forth and if I inted to keep contact or get to know somebody better, I always leave them with a question. You have something to answer, talk about, a reason to say "hi", you know.
His communication skills weren't good at all when we were at school, but I think he MUST have grown a little the last 10 years. Especially as a concierge of a 4 star hotel ...?
So what do you think? Is he too busy? Am I too nosey? Is not answering saying: "get off my case!" lol I'd really like to hear from him.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 7:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• I guess you have to be trusting and go with your gut feelings on this.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I've had the same problem lately. They seem all interested in seeing you again, even say "Hi" and What you been up to?" and then when you respond they never answer. Honestly, there's alot of theories, but I really don't know why someone would add you only to not talk to you.

Apparently its a pretty normal thing lately. I don't get it.

I know people change over time, and if enough time passes, you almost a strnger. A memory from their past, but not much more than an acquaintance (iof that) at this point. I guess from thier point of view, you can't simply come out of the woodwork and pick up like no time has passed. But still it is a let down, esp when you were looking forward to talking to em.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:12 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You assume that if they message YOU, they might be interested. If I WASN"T interested, I would have ignored you.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 7:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It's quite possible you are to nosy (just saying lol). It is quite possible he is to busy, he doesn't want to get to know you as an adult other than the occasional hello, or life just got in the way. If he was non confrontational in school more than likely you won't hear it from him now. Would it make you feel better if he told you get lost??? IMHO I would rather they not answer than to say they aren't interested in talking to me. Either way Good Luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have made contact with old high school friends and other then the occasional hello and maybe "Oh I cant believe how big the kids are" thats about all we talk about. You know, idle chit chat. There arent that many friends from school I have kept close friendships with. If someone was asking me alot of questions I might wonder why they were so interested lol. Also being a concierge is a time consuming job at a 4 star hotel.

Answer by gemgem at 8:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I hate bringing up something or asking a question or even just wishing a nice weekend only to get nothing in return.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It is nice to get replies but not necessary for me. It could be any of the reasons you stated.

Answer by older at 8:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You are an adult. I think you know this answer already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2011