I was told I have to eat at least 1300 calories to lose weight but....

I have always been one to not eat hardly anything to lose weight.. it worked the last time I lost 40 lbs that way and I kept it off till a miscarriage and 2 kids later! I gained that back + 20 :( anyway I feel like if I eat that much I won't lose ANYTHING!! I think if my stomach isn't growling then I am not losing anyweight then I am not buring any calories..... I am on the eliptical 5 miles a day and sit ups and resistance bands for my arms... I just feel like that is soo much calories for me to lose weight and I want to lose it fastish! lol so far I have lost 9.8 lbs the first week and yesterday i lost another 2.4 (at their shop) at home it says I lost 4 lbs which is crazy, why so diff? please give advice I don't think I can eat 1300 calories... I have still 45 lbs to go for my goal to!

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 7:48 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• If you don't eat you will lose weight it just won't be healthy for you. Also if you don't eat your body will go into starvation mood and then you will stop losing weight. I think if you are working with someone and they say to eat that much then I would. Also remember it is about what you eat to some extent.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• she really told me to eath 1400 to 1600 calories but said I know u and u won't go that high so just make sure I don't go under 1300.... I am just scared I don't lose eathing that many calories... I have been making the best choices I know ... this morning I ate 2 eggs with 3 turkey slices which was 162 calories and 16 g prot. with water for luch I can eath 17 shrimp for 140 calories and 24 g prot. but I am still not getting to 200 is that ok?
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If you don't eat enough, your body will stop burning the fat. It will go into starvation mode as cornflakegirl stated and hang onto every bit of fat to help you "survive". Try eating more for awhile and see what happens.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:19 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• What you will lose eating that few calories is muscle and organ tissue as your body is convinced you're starving to death and digests itself. You are eating absolutely no vegetables or fruit, which means you are most likely vitamin deficient as well. What you are describing is closer to the diet someone with an eating disorder uses, not something a healthy person uses. If your weight loss has stopped, it's because your brain thinks you're dying and trying to prevent that form happening.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Rapid weight loss is not good for your body. Every study out there shows that slow, steady weight loss is much more likely to result in long term results. You can cause your gallbladder to give out if you loose too much too fast.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:25 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If you don't get the proper amounts of the "right" calories, you're body will start to save up the fat you want to lose. It does this so that it can fuel itself. As the 1st response said, you can lose weight if you don't eat but then your body will take the damage for it by stripping you of the 'essentials" and that leaves you less healthy. If you can't get in the right amount of calories by eating then try to supplement them with protein drinks. Your body needs the energy to burn off the bad stuff and keep the good.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• no I am eating veggies, not much fruit cuz of the sugar... the veggies are the snacks! and the meal I have for today isn't always like that, I can't get to the store and am out of my usual! lol i usually put gree peppers in with my eggs... I eat cucumber for snacks and I eat veggies with dinner... dinner is an actual meal! sometimes for luck i have salad with cucumber and green peppers but I am OUT and the snow storm is on it's way :( i want to get berries and more fresh veggies but can't till this weekend so I am cooking with what i have at the moment! I don't have an eating disorder lol far from it I have to fight myself every day to not eat a TON like I was!
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• 1300 calories isn't enough to lose weight. With that your body is probably going into starvation and holding on to everything you put in your body. Meaning, you won't lose weight, you'll stay the same. Especially if you have done this before and your body lost weight, it knows the trick. You should probably try high protein low fat. Veggies are good, but you can't live off that alone. Lean meats, chicken, fish, and some beef, protein shakes, etc can help you become very lean. Also do this a few times a day. Stop counting the calories, and start counting the qualitie of what you are putting in your body, and your body will feel safe to drop un needed fat.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I'm a bit curious where you're getting your food calorie numbers from....2 eggs and turkey is lots more than 162 calories....2 eggs alone is 140 calories by anything I've ever seen....you may be eating more calories than you think...is it that possible?

I find 1300 calories very easy to eat...try a smoothie with 1 cup of milk, half a banana and a teaspoon of peanutbutter (all natural, no sugar added)....that's a great snack.

I lost over 100 pounds eating 1300-1500 calories per day. and they are right you won't lose the weight the right way if you don't....you will be losing muscle.....but don't forget you need to factor in a certain amount of exercise too....just changing your diet won't help. What are you doing for exercise?
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 9:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• here's the caloric info on eggs... http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-egg-whole-i1129 so it is actually almost 160 calories for those 2 eggs you had, then the three slice of turkey.....this is why i think maybe you might be getting more than you realize....1300 really isn't that much....one tablespoon of peanutbutter is 100 calories....one apple is 94 calories, depending on size of course,...that's between tennis-ball-and-baseball-size.
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2011