staying warm..........

i am just curious how you ladies stay warm and get by with your kiddos when your power goes out? 'specially for days on end. i grew up in colorado, out in the middle of nowhere and we often lost power. but we also had no central heat and air, we had a wood stove. our home was small enough to heat most of it all nite with a big lump of coal and some wood. we had a bbq on the porch to cook meat up on and anything that went in a pan could be heated on the wood stove. water was not to much of an issue, if the hand pump froze up, we would head over to the pond, break the ice and haul back buckets. and we had no tv to speak of, and the phone was not cordless, so unless the phone lines went too, it still worked. because our life was so simple, electricity was not quite so depended on as it is today. we did not need it for heat, phones, cell phones, laptops, microwaves, ect.

so how do you get by when the power goes?

BTW, we are in florida now, and loose power with hurricanes and such, and now i ain't so tough!! i NEED my electricity! LOL!!

itzmyzoo

Asked by itzmyzoo at 7:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I opt for everywhere I live to have gas stove, so should this happen we can still warm up and cook. If I am living close to my family, I go to my parents. They have all options, plus a generator if it is really bad for more than a day or 2.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• The longest we ever lost power was 1.5 days. I'm in NJ and it was winter. We ended up going to the movies or the mall. I told my husband that if we didn't get it back by the next day I was going to take the kids and go to a hotel. My big concern is that my son takes injectable medication that has to be refrigerated. If it goes above a certain temp it is ruined and the meds cost >$15,000 to replace.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We've never had the power go out in cold months. If it did, we would just go to my FIL's house. He has propane and a generator.

Now, back in 2003 when we had that big blackout for a few days, it was summer. We just spent our time in the pool. Used coolers with ice for what food we could. We also cooked on our grill.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We've had it go out for several hours - we just make a fire and "camp out" in the family room until it's restored. One of the benefits of living in the suburbs, I guess; they get to the lines pretty quickly.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:52 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Im in Western NC near the mountains (in the mountains depending who you ask lol). Our old farm house was built in the 1800s. So, that being said staying warm is something I have become an expert at. We have a wood stove, it heats the livingroom and playroom pretty well. We also have a Kerosene heater for when the power goes out if it gets really cold. Of course there are also always blankets and jackets if you get cold.
    As for food I keep alot of sandwich meats, cold cuts, and snacks on hand for when our power goes out. Our kitchen is all electric so not much choice there. We do also have an outdoor grill but I have found cooking on it while its snowing it just something that doesnt happen much haha.

Answer by gemgem at 9:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I live in NC, near the coast, so when we lose power, it is usually a hurricane and it is a matter of staying cool and not warm.
    We have an wood stove that we can use, we also have lots of blankets, and grill out when our power does go out in the winter.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:26 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We have a kerosene heater that we use... and for cooking a propane stove that stays out on the back
    porch (safety reasons) if needed... candles for light and a battery camp lamp, but power doesn't
    stay out no more than a day or so ...
    We also hang blankets up if we know the power is going to be out for a bit... keeps certain rooms
    warmer... extra clothing on the bodies and bunk down in the front room... for entertainment, it's reading
    books or board games by candle light...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We're expecting a nasty ice storm tonight, in which it's very likely we'll lose power--at least for part of the say (fortunately our home is located near the local electric company--so we're always taken care of first!), BUT we have a wood burning fireplace, gas range, candles, a gas grill to cook and boil waster on, PLENTY of bottled water (probably 6 months worth!), lots of board games, magazines, and outdoor snow equipment (skis, snowshoes, sleds, etc.) to occupy ourselves during the daytime! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Last ice storm we were out of power for 9 days and temperatures were in the teens.A generator kept my freezers from thawing and a kerosine stove heated until bed time.I cooked on a camp stove in my kitchen and kept hot water by warming it, in sinks.Was a tough 9 days for me!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It's been a while (knock wood), but we have gas, so at least we don't lose heat!
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 3:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2011