Am I just old fashioned?

My dd was sent home with a computer assessment form for me to fill out. It goes for prek to 1st grade. She is only 4! Id rather her practice writing and coloring than know how to sit on a computer. I know that the computer can be educational, but she seems a little to young to be using one. JMO. If the teachers want to educate their students about computers then they should make the assessment. Im not mad about it and will send the form in but think its a little rediculous. How old were your kids when they started using the computer? I know times have changed but I was a lot older. LOL

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids are 7 and 9, and I had the same feelings you did when they were younger. Now I wish I had taught them basic computer usage in preschool, because they are so far behind their peers when it comes to technology. They have computer class at school and are slower with it than the rest of the class, and sometimes the teacher calls them out on it. I feel terrible. So I would definitely go ahead and start teaching your DD how to use the computer--it's not an elective anymore, it is a vital skill.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My kids began using computers, a little bit, at 3 or 4 years old. Just simple games that taught thinking skills. I never let them play for very long. Maybe 15 minutes a day. They will be expected to be familiar with computers when they get to kindergarten.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My DS has been playing simple games on the computer since he was 2. There are very few jobs that don't require the use of a computer; I think that the earlier they are exposed the better off they are.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:48 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• They told me they would start in preschool if they had time in the curriculum, but it was definitely a part of kindergarten and up. I think it's great. You can't do anything or be anything these days without knowing how to use a computer.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I'm like you. My kids don't use the computer at home unless it's for a school project, and required. They do have computer class once a week at school though. One is in Kindergarten, and the other in third.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I know my son started computers in school in Kindergarten. He is now in 5th grade. I think it is a good thing to start them young as it is the computer age and it will be necessary for them to have computer skills to be able to compete in the word. In this world, it takes more than reading, writing and arithmetic

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:34 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• DD started using the computer this past summer when she was 4 (she's still 4...turns 5 tomorrow...). A friend told me about the learning site Starfall.com and she loves it...so I allow her some computer time each day if she wants it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:37 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My DS is 4y and he uses the computer.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My 5 year old is JUST starting to do a few things on the computer. He gets on maybe, once a week.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Mine started around 3 yrs old. My dd is in Kinder and they have computer skills classes. They also had them in Pre-K to prepare them for the classes in Kinder. That is likely why they have them for your dd too. By 1st grade the kids have to be able to use a computer for various projects without much prompting. Love it or hate it the fact is without computer skills your dd will fall behind. It is as important today as writing and math skills, which she will also get.

Answer by gemgem at 8:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2011