Has anyone noticed this?

Anyone have bad side-effects to you kid having an ipod at school, on the bus, etc? My kid's grades have gone down in every subject except PE since getting one at Christmas. She is 12 and has 10 classes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids aren't allowed to have their iPods in school at all. If their grades slip, I will take their electronics away (Xbox, iPod, computer, even their phones). It's a big incentive for them to make sure they are paying enough attention to their school work.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Why are you letting her even take it to school? Kind of common sense, don't you think?
    notjstasocermom

Answer by notjstasocermom at 9:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• In our schools they arent allowed I-pods in school. The high school does allow it if they are testing or if they are not doing anything and can sit quietly. My son has one in school with him (He is a Junior in HS) and his grades have not suffered because of it.

Answer by gemgem at 9:02 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Sounds like it's time to take away the IPOD except for weekends for a while?
    bonnieblue06

Answer by bonnieblue06 at 9:07 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It should not be allowed in school.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Its not rocket science. Take it away and don't send it to school. It has no purpose being at school anyhow.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I would NOT be letting my child take one to school... My kid is 5 now but still would NOT
    debbie26

Answer by debbie26 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Electronics aren't allowed out on our buses or in our schools. Cells phones have to be off during the academic day, ipods, iphones, mp3 players, hand held video game players - all off during the academic day.

Be the parent and TAKE IT AWAY!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• She uses it on the bus. It's an hr ride each way on the bus. They can use them at lunch too. We DID take it away until grades go up. I'm just wondering what everyone else does and what you all think of IPods, music and games on it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It wouldn't be a problem since my kids would NOT take it to school. They're old school (and all the schools I went to growing up) didn't allow that stuff and would confiscate them. Not sure at their school now. I think they're allowed to have them on the bus (some kids have a long ride) but they have to stay turned off and in their bookbags/lockers. I, personally, wouldn't allow it to leave the house. They don't need an ipod at school and would probably lose it anyway.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:56 AM on Feb. 1, 2011