Was I right to ask or am I over reacting?

My almost 4 year old daughter (April 5th is her birthday) is only 27 pounds. She has lost about 2 pounds in the past month and a half. She has grown a quarter of an inch (so nothing huge there).

I took her to the doctor because I am concerned about her size. They did a blood panel to test her thyroid and a few other things which I got the results of and they are that nothing is wrong.

So I asked to be referred to an Endocrynologist. I hate to see them draw her blood and what not, but I am super worried about her. The doctors office keeps telling me she is just petite and may always be or that she may begin to grow soon.

Am I jumping the gun to request to see the specialist?

**EDIT: I forgot to add that she was typically in the 5% range for size, she is no longer going up on the chart and is leveling off and starting to dip down on the growth chart. :( **

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 9:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think you're overrreacting. I wouldn't worry about her being in the 5% percentile (although I know my ped always scolded me because DD wasn't smack in the middle of the chart), since that's the way it always was, but if she's dipping, that's another thing. You did the right thing!
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 9:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No hun, I dont think so, its better to have a little discomfort and know everything is fine, rather than not putting her through it but not noticing an underlying problem. I would have done the same thing x
    mum-to-a-cutie

Answer by mum-to-a-cutie at 9:03 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If you feel she isn't acting like her normal self, or if there are other symptoms besides the weight loss I don't think you are over-reacting. If it's just the weight, I wouldn't take my child to an endocrinologist since she just had a blood screen done.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If she is in the normal ranges on growth charts I would not worry. I would assume the specialist will only run tests if they feel it is appropriate.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I personally wouldnt worry yet. My granddaughter is very tiny. She is MAYBE 28 lbs and is 2 yrs old and she loses weight back and forth. Her pediatrician ran tests on her too and shes alright. They actually told us to feed her certain foods and protein drinks over the summer months when we are more active. If she didnt keep her weight or lost too much then we were supposed to worry. Maybe you should ask your doctor what you can do to help her maintain her weight or gain? If that doesnt work then I would ask for a specialist.

Answer by gemgem at 9:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't be worried. Especially since she has typically been at the bottom of the charts - to fall off it isn't that big a deal. My kids have stayed pretty much at the same level growing up - with some fluctuation at different times. With a recent growth spurt - she sounds fine.

HOWEVER, I also think that sometimes we KNOW something as a mom even when we don't understand what is going on. So while I don't think you have reason to be concerned, I also think that you should trust your gut.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:23 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I would not worry, but it's okay to be concerned. They say that kids go through phases... right now, two of mine will eat anything and everything in the house all day long if I let them. My other two don't eat much at all. My seven year old is very petite for her age, but she is tall. Make sure she is taking vitamins every day. Other than that, I'd say the only thing you can really do is keep an eye on it and keep your doctor informed.
    Momma24Cuties

Answer by Momma24Cuties at 10:16 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Mommy's intuitoin. If you think she needs the specialist, GO!! Trust your gut!
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 11:56 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You are not overreacting. I went through the same thing before. My son was a healthy plump 6 month old breast fed baby. When we started adding solid food, his weight leveled off. From 6-18 months he did not gain any weight at all, and thinned out dramatically until he fell off the chart. My dr. told me to just give peiasure, and add butter to all his food. Turnes out he has a disease called Escinophiliac esophagitis. He has severe food allergies that cause the white blood cells to attack his esophagus and causes scar tissue. There is no cure, only to avoid the foods making him sick. Since we learned what his food allergies are (corn, eggs, peas, peanuts, treenuts, fish and shellfish) Now he gains weight and grows normally. I would keep asking,and pushing. ask for a simple allergy test, Could just be her food making her sick.
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 4:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We have worked with them to try and maintain her weight, but everything they ask me to try I do. Either she doesn't like the foods/drinks, etc they suggest or she does and eats the heck out of it and yet stays at the same weight or still loses. :( Poor kid.

Also elizabr I added above that she is in the 5% range typically but has started to dip down and has stopped going up the chart for growth.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 9:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2011