Mac & cheese

Does anyone know of a "from scratch" recipe for M&C my kids love it but I am trying to make their lunches a little healthier.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 9:03 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You don't want my mac&cheese recipe then! :)

Pound of macaroni, boiled. Two eggs, beaten with 1/2 C heavy cream, 1/2 cup milk, 1 C sour cream, big dash of yellow mustard, bout 1 tsp kosher salt. Drain the noodles, add 1 stick butter and stir until melted. Add 4 C grated sharp cheese (I'll use a blend of sharp cheddar, mild cheddar, and sometimes montery jack as well). Stir, and add in the egg mixture. Put in a greased casserole dish and bake for about 40 minutes at 350, or until it's bubbly and brown.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Thanks!
    matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My kids love this recipe. I use Kraft Classic Melts Cheese for a very creamy mac and cheese
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Scuba... I got to agree... that's how I make mine! My kids love it!!! And its way healthier!
    lynn.cox22

Answer by lynn.cox22 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Macaroni & Cheese with Ham

¼ cup butter
    ¼ cup flour
    3 cups milk
    salt & pepper to taste
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    8 oz cream cheese
    2 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese
    6 oz Colby jack cheese
    3 thick Swiss cheese diced
    1 ½ to 2 lbs. Small pasta

Make a roux with the butter & flour, cook for about 2 mins. Add milk and whisk until smooth. Cook until thick. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder & mustard. Add cheese and stir until all the cheese is melted & incorporated. While cheese is melting, cook the pasta in generously salted water. Drain & rinse. Mix pasta with cheese sauce and pour into a greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly. Diced ham can be added when mixing together.

If you don't know what a roux is...Melt 1/4 cup butter in a sauce pan. Stir in 1/4 cup flour and cook and stir until bubbly. I often add some diced onion and crushed garlic to the butt
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:12 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I boil the noodles. Poor all the noddles in a bowl. Add milk, butter and a little bit of shredded cheese. Then I stir it up. Add it in a pan and add more cheese on top and bake for about 45 mintues =)
    mommykaya

Answer by mommykaya at 9:12 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I often use different cheeses than listed. Just make sure one of them has a strong, sharp taste like sharp cheddar or swiss.
    Marwill

• Cook your childs favorite pasta shape.
    Drain pasta but do not rinse, and set aside in a casserole dish that has been sprayed with a bit of buttery non-stick cooking spray..
    In a sauce pan on medium to medium high heat, melt about 2 TBLSP butter, add enough flour to make a rue (a ball of buttery dough)
    and then stir in some milk and stir until smooth.
    Add your favorite shredded cheese (we like sharp at our house!)
    Continue to stir until the cheese if fully melted.
    Pour over macaroni and stir.
    Sprinkle additional shredded cheese over the top, a dash of sweet paprika if you like. . . .
    bake at 350 degrees til bubbly and yummy looking!!
    A bit of extra work but nothing compares!!
    ENJOY♥
    bonnieblue06

Answer by bonnieblue06 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i used the recipe on the back of a campbell's cheddar cheese soup. it was really good, but it's only enough to be a side dish and not a maindish.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 1, 2011