Worried

OK I seen the Youtube video, and i HATE NEEDLES!!!!!!!!!! I want to know do you really feel this huge needle going in your back? do you need a spinal block for this? Also is their any other way besides the epidural??? please help me, I am afraid of hosptials, and Needles sadly to say. but someone please send help and maybe ease my tentsion off labor. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• well first you made a mistake by looking at a video. you'll get stuck in your hand for the IV...so either way you'll get a needle. the only way not to get a needle in your back is to go naturaly. but to be honest you just feel a pinch, you don't even see the needles, and they're supposed to numb you before they do the epidural/ spinal block.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• it really is not that bad and as long as you sit still and dont freak out then they can get it done fairly quickly. it does feel very strange- they will locally numb the are then put the needle in- then you will feel strange "shocks" going down your legs so be prepared so you dont jump. within a few min you will feel nothing from waste down. it is great- you cant even feel your contractions no matter how bad they get.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 3:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I haven't had an epidural. The first time they gave me something that made me sleepy but I was still aware of the contractions. The second time they gave me a shot in my shoulder and put something in my iv. One made me sleep and the other was for pain. Both times when the drugs wore off I was ready to push. I personally think that the contractions aren't near as bad when you are pushing so I didn't feel as if I needed anything then. So if you don't want an epidural you can always try it that way.
    Anonymous

• I could feel the needle with all 3 labors. The epidural didn't work at all for the last 2 labors. If I ever had another baby, I would not get it. I can handle it on my own. It would be tough but worth it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• not to scare you but i had a bad experience with the epidural.. when they put it in the guy that did it put it on my upper body instead of my lower back.. so it stiffed my upper back.. then they had to put another one for my lower body i couldnt move my arms for about 2 days.. i ended up having a c-section so they messed up! but dont worry if you had a reg, preg it wont be that bad. good luck! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I had epidurals with all three of mine. I went for eight hours with my son before I couldn't take it anymore and I asked for the epidural. The Dr did numb me first and that was the only thing I felt, a little pinch. After that, it was smooth sailing! When I was in labor with both of my daughters, same thing. I went for 10-12 hours. It's totally up to you as to what you think you can handle and whether or not you want an epidural. If I got pregnant again, I would absolutely get an epidural because my tolerance for pain is really low. The best advice I can give you is to talk to your DH about what you both want and your DR as he can give you a more definitive answer as far as risks are concerned and answer any other questions you may have. GL!!!!

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• In all honesty, the epidural was nothing compared to the labor pains! But you can't see it, they're behind you. It's over in a matter of seconds and you get relief. Do yourself a favor, no more videos, and stay away from the mom's with horror stories. My MIL was insistant that she had a "dry breach with no epidural" with my DH. Stay away from them!! :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2008