Teeth brushing question

I used to brush my teeth a lot with extra toothepaste.I have a spot in between 2 teeth.It looks raw and the gum above my tooth hurts.I went to the centra care and she said its gingivitus.How can that be when I brushed so much?If so she said to quit brushing so much and gave me an antibiotic.It was better for a week but hurts again.I was told colgate total helps get rid of gingivitus in 4 weeks.Anyone ever have this?I dont have insurance or money to see a dentist.Thanks.

My gum is white and hurts.I dont have any money to get them cleaned.We are in foreclosure.I floss once a day.Also between the two teeth its raw like brushing too hard.Will the total help get rid of it like it says?I have tried the dental schools but none around her help.I would have to go 2 hours away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Health

• You need to have your teeth professionally cleaned, do you floss? That's huge. I just got my teeth cleaned and I have a similar spot and they hygenist told me that plaque at the gum line will irritate the gum and cause the gum to become inflamed and that can expose some root, but just getting it cleaned and having the plaque removed (which you can't do yourself) will fix it, because the gum's irritation will calm down and it will not be inflamed anymore. Good luck!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You can really irritate the gums by brushing too vigorously. Floss too and see if that helps. Plus swishing with warm water and baking soda can be soothing. Do research online to find details about gingivitis.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If you live near a college or school for dental hygienist they practice on real patients for free.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:46 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Oh yeah and my dentist told me that everyone has gingivitis to an extent, it's like people that have staph on their skin, like everyone has it, just depends on how bad it is whether it causes problems or not.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:52 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You can use a mild mixture of H202 and water and rinse your mouth out once a day after you brush and floss. Flossing is most effective against gingivitis as long as you are healthy. Sometimes, diabetes will bring on gingivitis that is resistant to conventional treatment. Flossing with a thicker floss ( not Glide ) is also very helpful. GL, this is easily treatable as long as you are consistent.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2011