Got a good navy bean soup recipe??

Okay, maybe that's a funny question to ask. But last time I made it, I soaked the beans FOREVER and they never got soft. I love this soup with ham and corn bread.....mmmmm. But I don't have a good recipe. If you want, you can just send me your recipe in a message.

Erin333

Asked by Erin333 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I soak the lima beans overnight. Discard the water from soaking, add fresh water to a large pot, add your ham or ham bone and bring to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer till beans are soft. Check it after about a 1/2 hour, but it make take 3 hours to get the beans soft enough to your taste. I also add a little milk right before I serve to make it a bit creamy and thicken it. My Mom used to put a whole onion in hers as well. But it comes out just fine without it. The onion gives me heartburn so I dont use it. I love mine with cornbread. You can use jiant lima beans or little ones it dosnt matter.
    Just because you soak them overnight or for 3 days, you still have to cook them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Ugh! I never knew people actually liked that soup! My Grandpa made it once and I thought I was going to throw up my stomach. It was awful...but he loves it, lol. Not trying to be a downer...I just thought it was funny that someone else actually likes the soup.
    mom2sophia711

Answer by mom2sophia711 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I love all kinds of beans. Navy beans don't take as long as pinto. I never soak my beans it makes the juice thicker .Go through beans saving half beans (that help thicken) wash, put in pot add water about two" from top of pot add bacon chopped onion salt pepper bring to boil turn heat down to simmer cover and let cook 3 or 4 hours stir once in while to make sure not sticking should'nt have to add any more water just watch it
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 2:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I meant the juice will be thicker if you don't soak them
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 11:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• go to better recipe.com or recipe.com for and how to cook bean.
    follow the direction on the back of the bag. Add your falvor meat at the start of the cooking. for example.. add smoke turkey when you pot the bean on the stove to cook. add them them.
    dkl941

Answer by dkl941 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2008