Did you get a negative response when people found out you were trying to concieve?

I never told my mother in law. He did. She says to me " I don't know why ANYONE would want a baby with the economy..." and more rude comments. My husband makes good money and I will have my degree in just 2 more months. Her attitude came when I went to school 2 years ago and he got this job. They're broke so we shouldn't do this? We refuse to lend them money anymore. We've been together for 10 years. Our son is 5 1/2. But when her daughter was pregnant 7 times by the time she was 24, it was just so cute. MIL is in her 60's. I am going to be 27 soon. They live 2 hours away from us. WE will be doing this not her. So irritating. I haven't told anyone else but my mother. I'm excited regardless of anyone else's issues.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• My future in laws don't want us to get married though we are getting married in less then a month and a half. My fiance' hasn't talked to his dad in almost a year and only talks to his mom a few min every couple weeks. His mom stopped by his work the other day to tell him that he should be sure to wait to get me pregnant because as long as we haven't had a baby, he can divorce or get an anulment without any problems. She told her that he is not leaving me not matter what they say and that we are already trying. She smacked him across the face.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I just wouldn't have told anyone in the first place, it's not their business. He shouldn't have done that. Everyone has their opinion. And from the sound of it, she doesn't approve of a lot of things you guys do, so it was expected. I have learned how to deal with these types of people. I simply don't ever expect them to approve, therefore I am never dissapointed. It doesn't even bother me anymore. Leave them to their opinions!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have a friend who has told me we will be very upset if we have #4 because she has fertility issues. She has said that more than two just seems greedy, "Why can't anyone just be happy with two?" I feel for her, I really do, and she is a genuinely lovely person, but it is weird to have to think about how our baby would affect her.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 10:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I'm 24, and my husband an I are fairly broke as it is, but I wanted to be a mother so badly. MIL was almost more excited than I was but my grandmother (who raised me) wasn't too keen on the idea. She was worried about how I will provide for a child and how its a lot of responsibility which made me feel like a child myself. She has since come around to the idea after me telling her how I felt. I told her that no one should take away the joy of being pregnant and creating life.
    Rakkoma

Answer by Rakkoma at 10:58 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Mother in Laws will always be MIL. Just ignore and do what is best for u and your family.
    Prayforblessing

Answer by Prayforblessing at 1:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• shes hating!
    mami323

Answer by mami323 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yes. With my son I lied and said that he was a surprise is completely OBSURD since I chart and it's dam near impossible to have an accidental pregnancy when you chart as repsonsibly like I do.

We recently had a miscarriage and the first thing people asked was "were you trying?" as if that friggen makes it any more or any less painful.

We told people, "yes."

Well now EVERYONE is all up in our business asking if we're going to try again. And of course EVERYONE has an opinion on that. It's our third and my MIL is NOT happy about the idea at all.

It's really hurtful. It makes me feel like our baby won't be accepted. I keep telling eveyone we're not sure if we're going to try again or not because I don't want to hear everyone's opinions.

Anonymous

• Yes my mom and dad were very unhappy when I told them about being pregnant both times, especially the 2nd time. We had money dh and myself and insurance, they are just on a life's ambition to disapprove of everyone and anyone who doesn't do things on their terms. Now when my children visit them, they act towards my 2nd child that she isn't good enough. I've pretty much had all that I can take. I've told them point blank to their faces that I could care less if my kids visit them or not and that if it were up to me, they wouldn't visit, but for some odd reason the kids like being there so I allow them to go. But that too has run its course and is all about to end. They don't respect me one little bit and enough is enough. I also had a miscarriage 4 years ago and my mom didn't shed not one tear or give me a hug or say ANYTHING to me. I even confronted her on it! I refuse to be emotionally abused anymore! OP you do the same!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes, some people just don't think before they say anything... my dad and my FIL told us they were expensive, we would regret it, and that we would be horrible poor for ever and ever. Because I guess they go through our bank statements. That didn't bother me much, but then my brother (6 years younger) told me I should abort it because he doesn't like DH and we should divorce. But... we managed, did NOT abort the baby or divorce, and am am now pregnant with our second. So nyah to them.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 12:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• This is why we didn't tell anyone when we were trying to conceive. It is no one else's business.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2011