What makes people racist?

I was just having this conversation the other day with my husband and we were both wondering what makes people racist/prejudice/judgemental.

I told him that I think it's not so much racism. It's more like people are just afraid of change. I don't think it has anything to do with the color of their skin, honestly. Though alot of people claim that's what it is. But in all honesty, people are more afraid of someone's culture being different, being raised a different way, being taught a certain way and that scares the people who are "traditional" in their own right. And they just can't accept change. So they do whatever they can to either block it out or destroy it. Which, unfortunately, is what people usually result to.

So anyway, I just wanted to know what you think makes people racists?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 3:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Relationships

• I THINK IT HAS A LOT TO DO WITH THE ENVIROMENT YOU ARE RAISED IN AND THE EXPERIENCES YOU HAVE WITH DIFFERENT RACES.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 3:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I know there is a link between education and racism. Typically the more educated you are the less likely you are to be racist.

I think a lot of it is ignorance. As a previous poster has said, you may have been raised around it and never learned anything differently. Lack of exposure to other cultures... fear.. and the human desire to feel superior to someone else.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I agree with serafyna. racism is a sign of ignorance.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I think it has to do with what they are taught. Nobody is born racist, it's learned.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I moved around a lot when i was growing up to diffrent homes and diffrent ways of doing things. and i can say that i don't like black people. and its not that i don't like them because i have some that friends. its complicated....i do not like the people who wear a belt and there but still hangs out...that cant talk like an adult. they come into my work and are rude. so maybe it isn't so much the color im racist about but im racist against the way people act. there is no reason someone should act like that or dress like that. and really its the parents fault
    blondebabe08

Answer by blondebabe08 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Ignorance suggests that you were never educated any differently. I disagree. It is stupidity. Stupidity is when you have alternative and accurate information presented, taught, and available but you CHOOSE to continue with a negative and false stereotypes. So racists aren't ignorant, they are just plain stupid. In regards to our country and our president elect - it isn't that people are afraid of change (yes a lot of people don't like too much change at one time) but overwhelmingly it is about race and ethnicity. People are afraid that black man holds the highest position of office in our land. He views life from the black experience perspective (he even says so in his book) and he believes in empowering people who are in the minority to give them an equal chance of success. Most people are afraid of that philosophy - that IS racisit and it is stupid to be so fearful.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i think its how you are brought up also and maybe having some bad incidents happening with other races, you know the one bad apple spoiling the whole damn bunch kinda thing..
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 5:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I kinda think it's how a parent raises a child. If you raise them to respect others and they see you doing the same , they will too..
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 6:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Blondebabe-to say you don't like a color is stupid. It's not the color that you don't like, it's the actions they do....some people can say that they don't like dumb blonde girls either
    Anonymous

• Blondbabe08 how can you say you don't like black people because of the way some of them dress or act?So your saying that all other races are the most well-dressed and polite ppl?I have met some of the most intelligent, well dressed and polite "black" ppl, ans I have met some of the ppl you described, but to limit what your saying to one race is ignorant,White, Black, Latino etc, all races have faults, because they're all human!I wish people would take a vacation or meet new ppl before they judge one race based on one or two ppls actions or appearance in that race.
    Sarah0306

Answer by Sarah0306 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2008