What is your role with the little ones and your dh's role?

For instance, do you take them out to play ball, or does he? Are you the night time book reader, or is he? Are you the board game player or is he? Are you the only one who can take them to the doc or can he?

parajumper3

Asked by parajumper3 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• We don't have roles. We are a Team. We both play with Our Son, discipline Him, and take care of Him equally. The only thing that is different is I stay home with Our Son all day and my Husband works. But when We are Together, there are no roles..just Two Parents taking care of and raising their perfect Kiddo Together.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:07 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It has always been who is available at the time. We are parenting our children together and have blurred the "traditional" lines so that neither does one or the other. My husband has changed diapers, bathed children, read the stories, tucked them into bed, fed them, taken them to appointments, etc. I have played ball (albeit not well), taught them to mow the lawn, disciplined them, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• me and him trade off fixing meals, giving baths, putting kids to bed, taking kids to their appointments. that's not to say that we'll have stretches where both of us are doing it all the time, because we both go to school full time and work.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I'm definitely the caregiver, but we both read to our DS, play with him, etc.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:06 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I do 90% of the stuff with mine. My dh works alot. When he is off he tries to get some time in by himself with the kids.

Answer by gemgem at 11:07 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Daddy fixes meals most of the time when he is home (weekends) and does rough and tumble stuff like playing Horsey. He takes turns taking them to run errands on the weekend, too, but just one at a time and the baby is always with me. He doesn't wake up at night or do baths. I do most of the bedtime stuff and all of the doctor visits and teacher communication unless there is something we need to do jointly. I should say he works A LOT of hours, but I wish he would do more of the meaningful stuff.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 11:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• He does the cooking. I do the laundry. We switch off nights doing the dishes. Whoever isn't doing the dishes bathes the kids/gets them ready for bed. Then it is family play time. We both do the bedtime routine with them. They each get to choose 1 book. We each read one book. Ummm . . . he usually does the wrestling, and I do the cuddling, although he will cuddle them too. Ummmm . . . either or both of us take them to the doctor. It's a pretty good partnership.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 12:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2011