my 3 yr old has autism he is not interested in potty time should i still try

he throws tamtrams

taterbug8o

Asked by taterbug8o at 8:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have no experience with autism. However, I think in this case, he's very much like "normal" boys--he's not ready to train yet and is letting you know the only way he can. Don't push it. Speak with his pediatrician about it. Every child is different, autistic or not. Each child needs to train at his or her own pace.
    God bless.
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 9:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I have a 2 yr old son and he is also autistic. we have not begun potty training yet but, I would ask his therapist if he has any or speak with his dr about it. I also have a 4 yr old autistic nephew and they just got him trained. They would have to take him every 30-45 mins and make him try and eventually he got the hang of it. But, you have to stay consistant with it once you start. Good luck!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• don't push the issue.. maybe get him one of those fancy potty's that plays music and that will excite him.. it worked for my son and he is mildly autistic.
    kanela

Answer by kanela at 10:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I bought the potty and left it in the bathroom where it sat for almost 2 years!! eventually she did it on her own.
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• well your not going to like my answer at all! My son is midly autistic as well he has aspergurs syndrome mostly the only part you can tell is socially, as a parent i know they have major bathroom problems.My son is 9 today and still has accidents.Its a parents battle with autisum all together hang in there and talk to his doctor! This is a life long battle so make sure you get a dr who supports you as a parent as well because your going to need it!

Good luck!
    momof973

Answer by momof973 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• There is hope and Im here to let you know that it is possible. My son is 3(4 in July) and in the spectrum, we have been struggling with potty training untill I had the pleasure of speaking with his teacher in August and she said get an egg timer and make them potty train every 15 min at first then make the time longer in between, after a week(maybe 20 min).
    I can tell you that today my son is letting me know he has to use the potty, and maybe it's not all the time, but it is so much farther than I thought I would be looking back at last year.
    denisewerntz

Answer by denisewerntz at 2:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2009