Will he stop doing this if I get him fixed?

We kept a male kitten when he was a stray at about 8 weeks old. He's a year old now and pees on the laundry if it's on the floor. Sometimes just random places on the friggin carpet also. We have a 2 yr old female that is fixed. She never ever had an accident. He ran away for 5 weeks so I swapped cat boxes and threw out the one that was in bad shape ( I didn't think he was coming back, came home 2 days before christmas) He did this when they had their own boxes so I am not really sure that it's because they are sharing. I have noticed that it seems to be my husbands clothes he tries to pee on. Not my sons. I don't know what's going on. Male jealousy?

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 11:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Pets

• First, have him checked for a urinary tract infection, second neuter him, third, lock him in a large dog crate with a clean litter box for a month, or until he is consistently using that box. If not a large crate, use a small bathroom, plug the drains and remove any rugs. This might help retrain him to the litter box.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• The rule of thumb for cat boxes is 1 per cat + one, as a place to start.

It may/may not stop if you get him fixed. Learned behaviors often need to be trained out of them. Fixing him *will* keep the nasty odor of Tomcat urine out of your house, though!
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yup, sounds like he is marking. Getting him fixed will be a big help (it will also help him from disappearing again) but, marking is also a learned behavior and fixing it might not always stop a cat.
    Also, when a cat does begin to go in other places other then the litter box it can be a sign of an illness. So it's best to take him to the vet, get him checked out and then fixed if nothing is wrong.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No, it doesn't stop. We had to get rid of two neutered male cats who did the exact same thing. Pissing on laundry and in planters. It never stopped. I have even had female cats do it as well. It's not always about the cat being male and needing to be neutered.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Once they start marking their territory they don't stop. Too bad you didn't get him fixed when he was 3 mos. old. Now its too late. Either you have pee on everything or you get rid of him. Put him out as an outdoor cat or give him to a shelter. People who don't fix their cats shouldn't have cats. Thats why there are thousands of kittens and cats getting put down in shelters everywhere.
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• 1 box per cat, get cat fixed, and also keep clothes in a hamper ;) if it doesnt stop after he gets fixed and clothes are moved to a different location, you should ask the vet because there might be something medical going on
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 11:50 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• also every animal should be fixed unless specifically kept for professional breeding or farm raising.
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 11:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2011