Does your mother feel the need to broadcast your business?

I need to vent for a minute. I got a get well card in the mail from someone i don't know. I called my mom to tell her of the weird card I got from this person, and she said, oh I know her. This is a woman who attends her church. My mother told her that I was having biopsy, and about an infection. UGH! Why would my mother feel the need to broadcast all that to someone I don't even know?

parajumper3

Asked by parajumper3 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• oh yes she does ! if she has a problem she tell her church "family" to pray for her, or if one of us kids make the mistake of confiding in her the whole church will find out ugh!! so i know better to hide my problems from her. i only talk to one sister and a girl friend that's it.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My mother does the same thing, but no one has ever sent me a card. I just meet people who seem to know all about me already.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Something about mothers I guess. My fiances mom was the first to find out we were expecting, and she told the entire family before we even got a chance. What can you say, we just learned somethings we cant tell people either we let them be the last to know.
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 11:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Have you ever had a frank conversation with your Mom? I had to say something like "I appreciate that you wanted people to pray for me, because, like me, you're scared about this situation. However, I'm more private than that and would appreciate in the future if you keep my personal life private. If you choose to share my personal life, then I won't be able to tell you personal things in the future and I don't want that." Basically, I had to set up the parameters about what is acceptable and what is not. My Mom got really offended the first time I told her this, but after she thought about it, she was fine. It sucks, because you really WANT to be able to go to your Mom with stuff like this. Hope that helps.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My family is the same way. If something is going on it spreads like wildfire. I know what not to share.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My mom doesn't do that, but my husband's mom does. We can't tell her anything, or she'll post it all over Facebook. It's sad... but I think it's just her way of making herself feel more involved. It makes her feel good to talk it out.

However, we don't really tell her anything anymore. She only finds things out when we're ready for the world to know. The only things we ever tell her anymore are inconsequential things that we don't mind her blabbing about.
    JessiFaye

Answer by JessiFaye at 11:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I hope my mom doesn't but who knows. I hope not...
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• She cares about you. When I was in the hospital (I had a stroke when I was 23...a very large percentage of my brain was covered in clots), everyone and their brother knew about it. I had my whole church praying for me, everyone in my relatives' churches, friends of my family. I was getting cards in the mail for weeks from people I didn't know... but I appreciated it. They were just showing concern and wishing me the best. I don't know what I would have done without that support. It sounds like she had good intentions. Maybe she should have asked you before she asked for prayer about it, but it sounds to me like she did it out of love.
    Momma24Cuties

Answer by Momma24Cuties at 1:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You do need to sit down and explain to your mother that she crossed over a line. A biopsy is different from a stroke. A UTI is different from a URI. Some things just don't belong in the public domain. There is possibility that she won't respect your privacy. If she continues to blab, then you have to cut her off to some extent. My mother has a super big mouth and can't control it. I know TMI on my nephew's conception. Thanks Mom, you are a jerk! When somebody tells you something in confidence it is supposed to remain in confidence. You shouldn't need to be told every time. You are not a newspaper reporter with a big scoop!

Your mom isn't the only one with this problem.

Anonymous

• LOL WOW HA THATS CRAZY I WOULD HAVE BEEN PISSED TOO BUT MY MOM WOULD BE MORE EMBARASSED OF SOMETHING I DID AND KEEPS EVERYTHING I DONT EVEN THINK SHES REALLY TOLD NE ONE IM PREGNAT..HMMM WIERD
    Bree_vee25

Answer by Bree_vee25 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2011